Long bottom teeth

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bullsgirl80

Reaction score
So my rabbit Sid has a bad over bite. He's been getting his teeth trimmed every 4 weeks. The vet said eventually id have to get them removed.

Friday Sid managed to somehow knock out his two top teeth. All I saw was him covered in blood. Wasn't screaming in pain. If it wasn't for the blood all over his face, I would have never known

I rushed him to the vet and they removed the top two teeth. They were hanging by a thread at that point. They kept him for a few hours to make sure the bleeding stopped. Finally they sent him home with pain meds and I have to follow up next Thursday.

Last Friday his bottom teeth were growing pretty fast and the vet wanted to see how he does with out his top teeth before she trimmed the bottom. I took a picture of his bottom teeth. Now, I get nervous over everything. Should I get the bottom teeth trimmed before Thursday or do you think it's ok to wait until then?

He is eating normal. He doesn't appear to be bothered by them at all.

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1384386629.046975.jpg

I would keep an eye on him but not panic. Thursday will be here before know it and he'll be good to go. Just trust your gut :)

Have you thought about learning how to trim his teeth yourself? I know that its not for everyone but I had a freind that had to trim her rabbits teeth and she did it herself every week or two with a small dremel. - Just a thought.

Good luck and best wishes!

I don't think I could handle trimming his teeth myself haha his teeth grow super fast. He just had them trimmed 10/24 and Friday was when he broke his two top teeth. Which still remains a mystery on how he did that. There was no blood anywhere else but on him

Thanks for the response :)

If the vet thought it could wait and they don't seem to be rubbing or causing any issues, then it should probably be fine.

I wouldn't recommend trimming teeth yourself. Some people do, but trimming teeth with clippers can cause fractures in the teeth, that can lead to infection. Burring is preferred and is safer for the teeth. Best to have the vet do it.

Before Thursday as in tomorrow or next week? As long as he's still eating well I wouldn't worry too much. How are his molars? Is it just his incisors that are affected?

Thursday as in next week. His molars are good. Just his front incisors.

He seems normal like usual. Eating a ton of hay and his normal 1/4 cup of pellets.

Latest posts

Back