Loner buns

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
[align=left]hi all,
I've been looking for a girlie (or boy, whatever works) for my Tony, and dates haven't been going well (he humps and asks to be groomed and the other bun doesn't like that!). He's a very dominant bunny, won't lick me or anyone, doesn't come up to me for cuddles, and I think that's part of why he doesn't get along well with others.

Question is, do any of you have stubborn/unbondable bunnies? How did you know that they were going to have to be single?

:?

Picture1129.jpg

"Is this the closest to a friend I will get?" says Tony
[/align]

I swore for years that Spice was unbondable.. it turns out I was very wrong.

He was bonded to Mocha as a young bunny but they were split up at about a year of age after they started fighting badly. After that, He would attack nearly any rabbit that came near. He was super socialable but he even attacked me when I had Zoey's smell on me once.

Then 3 years laterI found Reese... and it was the first time ever that he liked a rabbit. And I mean liked. I have never seen Spice so calm with another rabbit. Spice never nipped her, chased her, mounted her, and he even tolerated being mounted by her! The first time I put them together, Spice crawled behind her and FLOPPED which he rarely did.

The moral of the story? I think there is a match out there for every bunny, it's just a matter of being able to find that 'right somebunny' and it can be long and hard. I really lucked out with Reese but when I saw her, I just had a gut feeling that she was the one, and it turns out I was right.

I think Tony just needs a very submissive, loving girl. You might need to talk to volunteers that work with the rabbits to help you find one.

The question is, how violently did the other bunny react? If she just runs off and thumps at him, it could still work. If she tries to rip his intestines out through his nose, it's bad. None of my rabbits have ever done that well the first few times together.

I always figure, as long as they don't want to kill each other it's worth working on. In my first bonding attempt, both bunnies were ok at the shelter but hated each other at home. After two weeks of hating, Mocha fell in love. Two weeks of Loki hating his girlfriend later, he suddenly turned amorous, humped her a bunch (then conveniently forgot how to do it ever again!), and snuggled. They've been devoted to each other ever since.

It's not often that you'll introduce two rabbits together for the first time and they'll love each other.

we had a couple of dates that went better today...i don't want to count my chickens too soon, but he was a lot better than before.

I have an older male french lop, Chuck, who lost his mate in September and we are really torn about trying to find him another girl. He is very ornery and really doesn't come up to anyone except my husband. He will, however, let my cat groom his head! Funniest thing you've ever seen!

We tried to bond him once, but it didn't work. He was not happy and wasn't nice the female bunny. She didn't appreciate his grumpiness and fought back. Can't say that I blame her.

I don't know what to do because he is 7, we think and maybe he is just meant to be alone now. I just don't know!

Any suggestions!

Don't be discouraged. Tony just needs to find the right one. Buddy went on 4 dates before he found the right bunny. It just takes time.

I really dont think there are any bunnies that arent 'unbondable' i recommend when you find a new girl for tony that you put them in a laundry basket/or anything really that can contain them... and take them for a car ride.. make sure you make a lot of turns... you will be surprised at how well they bond when they are under stress... and having them neutered/spayed definetly helps when it comes to bonding =) hope that helps

Fluffy is so terratorial about her hutch space, I think shemight attack any bunny who came into it. She has been like that since I got her about 3 and a 1/2 years ago and hasn't changed. I've joked to my Dad that "She might eat a smaller bunny if I put one in with her", but there's truth in the joke, so Flufffy remains single.

Jo x

Thanks everyone!! Tony now has a girlfriend currently named Muffin. You can see more about her in the blog, but I'll be waiting a few weeks to make sure she's healthy before we start the bonding process. I'll definitely use your tips!!:biggrin2:

Latest posts

Back