Lola dont wants to eat hay.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LolaTheRabbit

Reaction score
Hi. I notoiced Lola would rather eat her pallets that hay. Her most favorites are oats. Breeder told me to mix it with dry food. Maybe i should change the hay?

I'd try all different kinds of hay. Also, the hay cubes, though not as good as hay strands, might be a way to introduce hay. Another way to do that is to grow wheat or regular grass, give it to her when green, then when dried, older, etc. until it's virtually hay,

Hello.

What kind of hay and pellets are you feeding her?

From reading your intro post it sounds like Lola is a little over 10 weeks? At that age she should be eating unlimited plain hay based pellets and unlimited alfalfa hay. At 12 weeks you can start introducing veggies, one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz

I don't know about the oats. I've heard they're just extra calories but someone else might be able to shed some more light on it.

My information is from the House Rabbit Society.

Peter was the same way when he came to us--he'd eat pellets and not touch any hay. We cut his pellet way down and after two days he became a grazer and after 7 years he's still eating way more hay and hardly touches his pellets. Don't think when we rescued him that he'd ever been given any hay or veggies.

Thank you for advices. I gave her cubes but she wont even touch it. I notices she touch it a little but. I will cu down her pallets. She is 11 week old.

You don't want to cut her pellets back too much cause she's still a growing bunny, but my baby bunnies would start to get soft poops when I fed unlimited pellets, so I cut their pellets back to limited, so that they were running out of pellets about 2-3 hours before the next feeding time. I feed twice a day, morning and night. When you cut back pellets, that should get your bunny eating more hay. And I've found feeding your bunny grass hay and not alfalfa hay is usually better. Alfalfa hay can often cause stomach upset with rabbits. And if you are already feeding alfalfa based pellets, then feeding grass hay should be fine. I know rabbits like oats, but they can cause digestive upset with some rabbits, so you don't really need to be feeding them, plus your rabbit will probably eat more hay if you don't feed them. Breeders will often feed oats to their rabbits for coat conditioning, but since you aren't showing your rabbit, it isn't something that is necessary for your rabbit to be eating.

Latest posts

Back