Loki's not loving his new hay feeder

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hrmom26

Reaction score
hello all, i researched diy hay feeders after finishing my loki's new condo. i saw a few that were made of cardboard boxes i thought this was a great idea since it now was a double use, holds the hay and he can chew on it . well he's not loving it. i am wondering if a hay feeder is just not for him or if i should just keep trying different things. here's what i made and what he's doing: i got a empty box that held saltine crackers it was the perfect shape and size i cut off the top so i could add hay and cut out a square in the front side , near the bottom so he could get it well the first night or two it worked great then loki started shoving his top half of his body into the opening where the hay came out lol pushing all the hay out the top after i cleaned up and refilled the hay then this morning i noticed he had spent the night pulling all the hay out and spreading it all over his cage just so lol well i cleaned up again and refilled the box and as we speak he is pulling all the hay out again ... so advice? do i keep trying different things/styles , of hay feeders or do i just accept my loki is messy with his hay lol

i'll add a picture if i can when i get back from the store

You can try different hay racks, but you may have the same issues. Some rabbits just don't like them as it makes it hard for them to pick through the hay. I prefer just putting a big pile of hay in the corner of the litter box. It's easier for them to eat it on the ground and I feel that they eat it better when it isn't so hard to access.

I do the same as JBun. I find the hay pretty much stays contained to the litter box. It is also easier for me when it comes time to adding more hay. I may be lazy, but stuffing the hay in a box or rack seems like more work than just dropping it in an open tray.

Latest posts

Back