Local pet stores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
penguinsrxcore wrote:
As far as Easter goes, no they aren't good pets for kids. But I got my first bunny not around Easter, when I was four. So maybe for some children.
They are good pets for kids. As long as said kids have responsible parents willing to step up and take care of the pets, and to teach the kids proper handling, etc.Young childrenjust aren't able to do everything that is necessary to properly care for any pet.

paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
Here, getting rabbits for people for Easter isn't very common thankfully!
That's true, But the petmania's are full with rabbits just in case.
Petmania is an awful pet store, the way they keep the animals is just awful.
You know the one out be Wickes on the east way business park, the way they cram 4 rabbits into one of those tiny glass cages, I would put gerbels into, Rabbits can barely move in them!
Ugh. There are no rabbits at my local petco or petsmart, but how they treat the other animals like guinea pigs is unacceptable. And they are selling them to make a profit!!

irishbunny wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
You know the one out be Wickes on the east way business park, the way they cram 4 rabbits into one of those tiny glass cages, I would put gerbels into, Rabbits can barely move in them!
True, they call themselves a responsible pet shop but they house guinea pigs and rabbits together and they keep the rodents under lights that are way too bright, this is the Jetland one, I haven't been to the other one near Maxi Zoo.
I go into the petmania's quite often, Nearly every week they have about 10 different animals in infirmary from injuries caused by fighting!:X

paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
True, they call themselves a responsible pet shop but they house guinea pigs and rabbits together and they keep the rodents under lights that are way too bright, this is the Jetland one, I haven't been to the other one near Maxi Zoo.
I go into the petmania's quite often, Nearly every week they have about 10 different animals in infirmary from injuries caused by fighting!:X
but you still buy rabbits from them? that's called supporting them...

I volunteer for a rescue here in NJ. We will adopt a rabbit to a family with children as long as the parent(s) understand that they need supervise the child(ren) with caring for the rabbit.

Matter of fact we have a bonded pair that was just adopted by a family with two children. I think the older girl is around 8 or so. She seemed fine the rabbits. The younger boy will definitely have to supervised closely. We also have foster homes with young children who are learning to care for a rabbit with adult supervision.

Just to clarify we have turned down adults looking to adopt. You just know that the rabbit would not be cared for.

penguinsrxcore wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
I've never bought a rabbit from them...
Not you, Paul. He has bought from them.
Yeah but they could go to alot worse homes If I didn't In Ireland neutering/spaying a rabbit is unheard of but forget injections there just non existent to most people. I for one am neutering/spaying all my rabbits, Once that is done they will be getting both VHD and Myxi injections. And I'm also trying to get them bigger hutches. I am only a child, So this will take up to a year. 2 rabbits are altered though.

Personally, I see this thread going downhill. Some people buy rabbits from pet stores because they want them to have a better life. There is nothing wrong with that. I bought my Toby from a pet store. I consider it a saved life because he didn't go to a little kid who would get bored with him and abandon him.

What is in the past is in the past. You can't change it or judge people for their decisions. Sorry if I sound crabby, but I kind of am tonight... :ph34r2

Well to be honest if I was looking for a rabbit and I saw one in there that I wanted I would get it, like Khermann said, better then a bratty little kid getting it. There is always going to be people who will buy from pet stores, they won't go out of businessand where I live, I would find it extremely difficult to get a rabbit if I didn't buy from a pet shop. Luckily though there is only one bad petshop in my area, but I'm not aloud buy from there because the guy who owns it used to be my dad's friend but they fell out.

JimD wrote:
I'm very happy to report that the two pet stores that I frequent (Petco & Pet Goods), have stopped selling bunnies until after Easter.

Unfortunately it was not the same here withour stores.

I spent this weekend with the local rabbit clubs showing and displaying their rabbits at malls and venues for Easter. I am proud all the breeders turned down any sales of rabbits this week. I witnessed several breeders talking to people but wouldn't sell to them.

The breeders even turned down any sales to the Pet Shops during the Easter campaign so the stores had babiesshipped in from the East and distributed amongst their stores, for sale at exorbitant prices.

25h34vk.jpg

I have pictures of the very young babiesselling for $74.95. One of the workers there was saying they just sold 3 of them.

undergunfire wrote:
Right now there is a "breeder" on CL selling "Velveteen Easter Bunnies"...aka...castor rex rabbits :(. The ad also says that bunnies are perfect pets for children on easter.
I wouldn't recommend the Velveteen Bunniesfor children. They have very sharp nails and even the breeders had permanent scars from scratches.

pla725 wrote:
We will adopt a rabbit to a family with children as long as the parent(s) understand that they need supervise the child(ren) with caring for the rabbit.
Just to clarify we have turned down adults looking to adopt.

Our Humane Society put articles out in the newspaper about Easter and bunnies. (Edmonton Sun Wednesday April 8, 2009.)

http://video.edmontonsun.com/video/featured/ehs-urges-against-impulse-bunny-buying-this-easter/18883236001

They would stillallow adoptions to occur as this featured bunny in the newspaper was just adopted.

25jz40w.jpg

"Personally, I see this thread going downhill. Some people buy rabbits from pet stores because they want them to have a better life. There is nothing wrong with that. I bought my Toby from a pet store. I consider it a saved life because he didn't go to a little kid who would get bored with him and abandon him."

awww, sounds like you need a bunny /hug or nose-rub from your bunny
:blushan:
I agree, realistically pet stores are not going to stop selling bunnies if it's legal and there's a market for it (and there usually is). Both my lops are pet-store buys, and I feel glad that they ended-up in our house.
I had tried getting in touch via email to a couple breeders locally but never got any response back.

anneq wrote:
Both my lops are pet-store buys, and I feel glad that they ended-up in our house.
Myfirst rabbit was store bought and surrendered toa Vetto beeuthanized by the original owners, but the Vet gave the bunny a second chance and allowed me to adopt it instead.

My second rabbit was alsobought from a store, and given to meby the owner who couldn't keep it anymore.

If I get another bunny (my wife would kill me), it would be from the shelter orsomeone, providing that the rabbit is no longer wanted.

"If I get another bunny (my wife would kill me)" LoL Stan my husband at first was indifferent to our 1st bunny....now, he has really made them a whole part of his morning and evening routine - he's as attached to them as my daughter and I.
He accidentally left the male out with our doe the other day, and I almost threw him out of the house, lol - even though our male has been neutered going on 1mos.I am soo wanting our doe to get a rest from her amorous hunbun.

I have a success story from Easter!!!!!!

My sister asked my 7 year old niece what she wanted for Easter, of course, she wanted a bunny rabbit like her Nanny (me). I balked at the thought--not because of my niece--she could take care of one--but because my sister is too irresponsible. LOL! She just wouldn't take the time for an indoor rabbit and I would probably be the one to do most of the caretaking. I promptly got on the phone and explained to my little niece and sister why a bunny rabbit wasn't such a good idea. My niece was upset for a while but has decided on a pet that needs far less care and attention--a turtle.

Marielle - 1
Easter bunny sellers - 0

YESSSSSSS!!!!!

Latest posts

Back