Local pet stores

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

penguinsrxcore

Reaction score
I just came back from our unnamed local pet store and noticed the abundence of baby rabbits/children and parents prepping for Easter. It makes me slightly sick to my stomach but I didn't preach to anyone. Just minded my own business. Who knows, they could be responsible and prepaired.

I played with the babies and moved on to my original mission, bigger litterbox/water feeder. I found the most darling lime green/baby blue large litter box with a grid for poop and a large water feeder with a detachable top for refilling.

Overall successful trip.

Does Easter bother anyone else to the slightest?

:bunnysuit:

I always take time to "talk' to my husband about our bunnies. Than people start asking us...:coolness:

JadeIcing - i think you do the same as me tho' im normally with daughter. we stand there looking at the bunnies and i find myself saying that we've already got 2 bunnies and what with vet fees (quotes recent cost) then go on to talk food, housing lifespan.

:)

I have a Make Mine Chocolate bumpet sticker on my car. I don't dislike Easter itself, because as a Christian it has a much deeper meaning to me than candy and eggs. I do hate what it means for the poor baby rabbits that foolish people buy as an "Easter present" to their kids. I am particularly upset this year, that our local Rural King is now selling rabbits too--at only $10 each. That's even worse than the local petstore, theirs are $30 each, which would slow down some impulse buyers anyway.:tears2::pssd:

Here, getting rabbits for people for Easter isn't very common thankfully!

"Does Easter bother anyone else to the slightest?"

Yes, it does. Especially if I see that someone with a VERY young child is buying one ... I just cringe.

On the other hand, my 2 adult buns were pet-store buys for my 13 & 18yr.old daughters and they have had excellent care. (we didn't purchase them during the Easter season).

But yeah, wish all stores would refuse to sell bunnys during the Easter season.

anneq wrote:
Yes, it does. Especially if I see that someone with a VERY young child is buying one ... I just cringe.
I was a very young child (4ish) when I got my first bun. My mom had gotten her from a rescue lady. I loved bunny proofing the house and then finally getting "Hollywood" and litter training her. She had the most loving home. But I've always loved little animals. I know some children are not so careful.

" I know some children are not so careful."

True, my youngest daughter is like the poster child for "Little Miss Pet Vet'
She was around your age when I got my oldest daughter (who was 9yrs.old at the time) a guinea pig - Anna (my youngest, now 13yr.old) was much more vigilant in feeding and caring for the guinea pig than her older sister - she's always been that way.
I have a dear friend with 5 great kids....but, she made the mistake of buying a duckling for the kids - well, 2 of the younger boys were playing with the poor thing like boys play with their toys, and mom wasn't watching close enough...needless to say, the poor thing didn't make it past a week. I heard about this from my oldest while she was at their house playing, and she was rather upset - I'd known this woman for years, and I really don't know what possessed her to buy such a small creature that was rather delicate and allow her young boys to play with it.
In all other ways, she's a good mom and a great friend but she had a lapse in judgment. (I'll be the first to admit - I've made plenty of mistakes ..and will probably make a lot more).

My hunch is .... rabbits are not given the same status as a dog or cat, simply because many people don't consider them genuine pets.
Heck, they're not listed in many areas as pets, but as livestock. And livestock, well, that's things we eat (some of us, at least).

People who would be forming a lynch mob if someone came onto CL to ask about mass-producing cats so they could feed them to their dog for fresh, raw meat.. don't bat an eye when someone asks about how to raise rabbits so they can feed their dog fresh, raw rabbit meat. (yes, that was from the area I live in and yes, my jaw dropped, and yes, I responded)
So, it's no wonder that rabbits, to a lot of people, are more disposable.

Some parents are very careful and will supervise their children and bunny, along with teaching their children the ropes about pet care, and others won't.

Like I said, some bunnys sold in pet stores end-up going to wonderful homes, and others, well, we all know the tons of rabbits up for adoption across the country (and that's not counting the ones that were turned out in a park or forest, or dumped in a neighborhood:cry1:

We have partnered with MMC for several years now. Until the new construction began at the vet school at NC State Univeristy, the open house was always just before Easter and a prime time to target this cause. We have had over 10,000 people by our booth at the event....it iscrowded from doors open at 9am to close at 4pm. We would take rabbits that were abandoned Easter rabbits. With our personal experience and discussioncombined with the material from MMC, we were able to get across a powerful message. We got many positive comments from parents that had never considered the overall responsibility of having a "low maintenance" pet like a rabbit. While we rarely admit domestic animals any longer.....I fully support MMC and any group that spreads the word. While Petco is no longer selling rabbits, they would not sell during the Easter season as to try to discourage impulse buying. We have had discussions with the local farm supply. And while they are still selling rabbits, they have excellent printedmaterial available to educate people.....and they suggest unlimited hay and spay/neuter. They also know I come in to check on the buns and have seen them remove sick/injured rabbits and find vet care for them. A small, but large, victory and we will keep working on behalf of domestic rabbits in this matter.

Randy

paul2641 wrote:
irishbunny wrote:
Here, getting rabbits for people for Easter isn't very common thankfully!
That's true, But the petmania's are full with rabbits just in case.
Petmania is an awful pet store, the way they keep the animals is just awful.

Randy, my salute to you!
It's really heart-warming to know people are out there educating people on rabbits as pets - I know there are a few stores that still sell baby rabbits during Easter, but I'm glad to see at least some no longer do so.
Thank you again for all the time and hard work you've done for rabbits:)

The rescue I volunteer at tries to get a section in the local paper around the holiday bringing to light all the reasons getting a rabbit for Easter is bad.

One of the local pet stores constantly sells underage baby rabbits. People get overwhelmed after realizing they aren't prepared for such a commitment and go to bring the rabbit back. The pet store refuses and gives them the number to the rescue. So these new owners surrender their tiny bunnies. I find it incredibly frustrating that the pet store will not step up and take the babies back but have no problem sending them to the already filled rabbit rescue.

Sorry for the rant. :X

gentle giants wrote:
I am particularly upset this year, that our local Rural King is now selling rabbits too--at only $10 each. That's even worse than the local petstore, theirs are $30 each, which would slow down some impulse buyers anyway.:tears2::pssd:
My local pet store sells rabbits for $60 dollars and it does not stop people from impluse buys I saw a little girl, around 5 or 6, telling her mom she wanted a rabbit instead of a hamster and they started looking for a cage! Can you believe that?

ra7751 wrote:
We have partnered with MMC for several years now. Until the new construction began at the vet school at NC State Univeristy, the open house was always just before Easter and a prime time to target this cause. We have had over 10,000 people by our booth at the event....it iscrowded from doors open at 9am to close at 4pm. We would take rabbits that were abandoned Easter rabbits. With our personal experience and discussioncombined with the material from MMC, we were able to get across a powerful message. We got many positive comments from parents that had never considered the overall responsibility of having a "low maintenance" pet like a rabbit. While we rarely admit domestic animals any longer.....I fully support MMC and any group that spreads the word. While Petco is no longer selling rabbits, they would not sell during the Easter season as to try to discourage impulse buying. We have had discussions with the local farm supply. And while they are still selling rabbits, they have excellent printedmaterial available to educate people.....and they suggest unlimited hay and spay/neuter. They also know I come in to check on the buns and have seen them remove sick/injured rabbits and find vet care for them. A small, but large, victory and we will keep working on behalf of domestic rabbits in this matter.

Randy
:goodjob

I love the MMC campaign! I printed out a few of their fliers and asked the local library if they wouldn't mind if I put them on their bulletin board. Even if only one person read it, would be worth the effort! I will probably do it again this year as well.

I'm not a fan of Easter after seeing it from the 'rabbit prospective'. I really wish more people would educate themselves, and make an effort to avoid the impulses and the stereotype of rabbits being perfect for children and Easter gifts. Though hopefully in time, with the continued efforts from rescues and organizations like MMC, the number of poor babes discarded after Easter will slowly start to go down.

What would make me super happy is if all pet stores at the very very least decided to stop selling rabbits 3 weeks prior to Easter. Would make such a difference :(.

I'm very happy to report that the two pet stores that I frequent (Petco & Pet Goods), have stopped selling bunnies until after Easter.
Actually, the Petco no longer sells bunnies, they only offer bunnies for adoption from local shelters/rescues.

Latest posts

Back