LMRR DOH inspection #1 results

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hereinjersey

Reaction score
Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue
[align=center]2308 Auburn Ave[/align] [align=center]Atco, NJ 08004[/align] [align=center](Township of Waterford, Camden County)[/align][align=center]
[/align] Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue
[align=center]2308 Auburn Ave[/b][/b][/align] [align=center]Atco[/b], [/b]NJ[/b] [/b]08004[/b][/b][/align] [align=center]([/b]Township[/b] of [/b]Waterford[/b], [/b]Camden[/b] [/b]County[/b])[/b][/align]

Lorraine, I don't know or care what you're trying to say this time, but take your vendetta elsewhere.

You report things like 'the vet quit' this rescue and 'reported them to the health board', when in reality the rescue started working with another vet and the first vet notified the health board AS REQUIRED that she was no longer the vet on record.

The rescue deciding to keep a rescued Flemish rather than adopting it out generates accusations of hoarding. You ignore the fact the rescue adopts out a dozen or more rabbits per month -- they have one of the best adoption records in rescue.

Its this type of manipulation of facts that you and the others in your 'gang' of harassers are putting across to besmirch the reputation of a great rescue simply because you personally don't like the founder.

You cross the line when you orchestrate mass complaints to authorities (anonymously of course) about non-existent or ridiculously minor violations which in turn end up costing the rescue, their volunteers and their donors thousands of dollars in unneccessary upgrades.

You're sucking time and energy out of all rescues. I can say a lot of us don't want to even do rescue when we see stuff like this.

Go away.

sas

New Sauder Research: Workplace bullying witnesses consider quitting more than the victims

July 17, 2012

New research from the Sauder School of Business at UBC reveals that workers who witness bullying can have a stronger urge to quit than those who experience it firsthand. The findings of the study indicate bullying’s corrosive effects in the workplace may be more dramatic and costly than suspected.

“We tend to assume that people experiencing bullying bear the full brunt. However, our findings show that people across an organization experience a moral indignation when others are bullied that can make them want to leave in protest,” says Sauder Prof.Sandra Robinson, co-author of thestudypublished in the current edition of the journal Human Relations.

Data used for the study were collected through two surveys of a sample of 357 nurses in 41 units of a large Canadian health authority. Prior research shows that bullying is prevalent in the health care industry, especially among nurses.

The surveys used a series of questions to assess the level of bullying in each nursing unit, as well as the individual experience of bullying of each respondent. The researchers then captured respondents’ intentions to quit their jobs in units where bullying was pervasive, asking them to rate their positive or negative reactions toward statements like, “If I had a chance, I would change to some other organization.”

Findings show that all respondents who experience bullying, either directly or indirectly, reported a greater desire to quit their jobs than those who did not. However, the results also indicate that people who experienced it as bystanders in their units or with less frequency reported wanting to quit in even greater numbers.

Prior research shows that intentions to quit are directly correlated with employees leaving their jobs. However, Prof. Robinson warns that even if employees stay in their roles, an organization’s productivity can suffer severely if staff members have an unrealized desire to leave.

“Managers need to be aware that the behaviour is pervasive and it can have a mushrooming effect that goes well beyond the victims,” says Prof. Robinson. “Ultimately bullies can hurt the bottom line and need to be dealt with quickly and publicly so that justice is restored to the workplace.”

-30-

Glad you want to keep the public informed. Glad you care about the animals who the owner is treating as her own vet. Glad to see you are concerned that they do not have the food and water they need.

The majority of rabbits have mites, they are only a problem with stress and other health issues allow them to propagate. Rabbits coming into a rescue are stressed!

With 100+ rabbits with daily intakes (in one of the worst flea seasons I may add, if you're talking about this year), you're going to have a few fleas.

When you have an mean-spirited and well organized group of bullies putting any rescue under a microscope almost every hour of every day for years, you're going to find some fleas.

But they are no where near as big of a threat to the rabbits as your group of parasites feeding on the blood and energy of the those who are truly rescuing them.

Don't let the (virtual) door hit your butt on the way out.

sas (forum owner)

More manipulation... no food and water. Accusations like this stem from disgruntled ex-volunteers showing up to clean pens (while the rescue head was in the hospital) and taking pictures. OF COURSE the pens are dirty and there is no food or water, that's what the volunteers are supposed to do.

It's unfortunately very easy for people like your group to set up a rescue to fail because of personal grudges. And it happens often.

In this case, all the charges are totally bogus (or they are exaggerated and date back 10 years to boot), but even where there are problems I'll always question those who are accusing rescues of neglect why they don't simply step in and help? Don't take pictures, clean the litter boxes, buy some food!

Rescue SHOULD be a community effort. Someone with the drive to get one underway should be applauded and assisted, not constantly policed and criticized, which unfortunately is the more common approach in rabbit rescue.

Read the article I posted. You're demoralizing the entire community.

sas :(

:yeahthat: Pipp, I totally agree! When LMRR was first recommended to me I had second thoughts from the smear campaign. I kept an open mind and talked to the members directly rather than believing what I was told second hand. I am very glad I did because I have found them to be an excellent, extremely caring group of people. They take in and place so many rabbits that would have no hope otherwise. They do amazing work.

It really is a horrible shame the hoops they are jumping through with the health department now because of hard hearted people. The health department is forcing regulations that were written and logical for DOGS on a rabbit rescue! Repeat after me: Dogs are not Rabbits. Rabbits are not Dogs! This entire time the care and well being of the rabbits has been the highest priority.

Shame on anyone who goes after someone working their butt off saving lives. It is hard enough educating the public without needing to fight against people who should be on the same side. Bullying doesn't go away after school ends because some refuse to grow up. :disgust:

PS: For people wanting to see the real story of this great but beleaguered rescue, here's their Facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleMiraclesRabbitRescue

They are unfortunately in need of probably four times the resources they'd otherwise require thanks to the constant harassment that sucks so much time and adds so much work to their efforts. :( Those funds and resources could have gone to true rescue efforts.

As an example of how mean-spirited these harassers are, the rescue's Flemish 'spokesbunny' recently suffered a badly broken leg taking a bad jump in his pen (and eventually passed away after surgery). When the rescue posted x-rays, the harassers had somebody professing to be an expert tell their mindless followers they were of a dog and the rescue was trying to solicit illicit funds.

It's frightening not only that these people go to these lengths, but that others actually believe this stuff.

:shock: :p

MiniLopHop wrote:
:yeahthat: Pipp, I totally agree! When LMRR was first recommended to me I had second thoughts from the smear campaign. I kept an open mind and talked to the members directly rather than believing what I was told second hand. I am very glad I did because I have found them to be an excellent, extremely caring group of people. They take in and place so many rabbits that would have no hope otherwise. They do amazing work.

It really is a horrible shame the hoops they are jumping through with the health department now because of hard hearted people. The health department is forcing regulations that were written and logical for DOGS on a rabbit rescue! Repeat after me: Dogs are not Rabbits. Rabbits are not Dogs! This entire time the care and well being of the rabbits has been the highest priority.

Shame on anyone who goes after someone working their butt off saving lives. It is hard enough educating the public without needing to fight against people who should be on the same side. Bullying doesn't go away after school ends because some refuse to grow up. :disgust:

:yeahthat:

Great last line especially.

I live in FL, but have been to the rescue many times. I would be happy to answer any questions anyone has. Thanks everyone for their support. PS...hereinjersey is known on FB as Robin Hooder if you happen to have friended her.

Caught the Robin Hooder one, thanks. These guys are constantly making up fake profiles.

I wish they'd get a life and start helping rescue instead of hurting it. :(

sas

COMMENTS INSERTED BY THE FORUM OWNER IN RED:

Little Miracles Rabbit Rescue
2308 Auburn Ave
Atco, NJ 08004
(Township of Waterford, Camden County)

Continuation sheet for inspection conducted on August 16, 2012 by Linda Frese and Renee Cirillo, New Jersey Department of Health, and James Perry, Camden County Department of Health.

Section 8:23A Deficiency

1.2 (b) A certificate of local health inspection was not prominently displayed at the facility.

- officious, doesn't affect the rabbits

1.2 (c) The back area of the small animal room is currently under construction, and is intended to be used as a new isolation room, or other separate animal holding area. Outdoor enclosures are also being installed. Plans have not yet been received by the Camden County Health Department for these renovations and new construction. Plans must be submitted to the local health authority for review and approval for both indoor and outdoor renovations and improvements before construction and operation begins. A schematic showing the layout and operation of the ventilation system used for the isolation room must also be submitted in the plans to the local health authority. The ventilation in an isolation room must exhaust directly to the outdoors and must not mix with the air of the general population. Permits and approvals must also be received from the local municipal code official as required for new construction and renovations. Please submit plans to the local health authority within 2 weeks of the date of this inspection.

1.3 (a) A new air conditioning unit has been installed inside the facility, but is leaking water onto the floor. This unit must be properly drained or repaired to prevent such leakage onto the floor.

- officious, ridiculously minor

1.3 (c) The rabbit food container is now covered, but alfalfa and hay is stored in uncovered containers unprotected from contamination.

- contamination of hay is more likely in a covered container, hay is not the same as cat and dog food.

1.3 (f) The clothes dryer exhaust is being temporarily discharged into a small water filtration device connected with plastic flexible tubing. Please consult with the local building code official regarding the proper metal exhaust tubing and elbows required for clothes dryers to prevent a fire hazard.

- noted as temporary

The facility is currently being reorganized, but at the time of this inspection, several donated items, different than the donated items noted during the last inspection were in the middle of the floor in front of the of the main office, which is the main walkway between the two animal rooms at the facility.

1.4 (d) The caging in the main rabbit room has been rearranged to permit better illumination of the primary enclosures where rabbits are housed. The lighting in the small animal room is still insufficient to view the bottom cages of the stacked cage units located against the inside wall of this room. Several light bulbs throughout the facility were not working and were in need of replacement.

- rabbits live in underground burrows and are more comfortable in dark spaces. they are not dogs or cats.

1.4 (f) The floors in the isolation room are stained and are not impervious to moisture. All interior building surfaces shall be constructed and maintained so that they are impervious to moisture and may be readily cleaned.

- a dog/cat shelter is a sterile, stainless steel facility designed to be hosed down and disinfected. this is an extremely uncomfortable environment for rabbits whose natural environments are dirt and wood burrows. this is instinctively reprehensible to their mental well-being which in turn affects their physical well-being. rabbits immune systems drop dramatically with stress.

1.5 (e) Outdoor enclosures are being erected that consist of sand as flooring material. Surfaces of outdoor enclosures shall be constructed and maintained so that they are impervious to moisture and may be readily cleaned and disinfected; run off from outdoor enclosures must be properly disposed of as required by the municipal sewerage authority. Please submit plans to the local heath authority, as well as the municipal code official if required, for approval before construction of these enclosures continues.

- rabbits love digging in sand and they're instinctively happier outdoors. there is no point to having an outdoor enclosure if the environment is not natural. again, this is an extremely uncomfortable environment for rabbits whose natural environment are dirt and wood burrows. this is instinctively reprehensible to their mental well-being.

1.6 (a) Animal enclosures are not maintained in good repair. The wooden painted cages designated as “the condos” have chewed and worn surfaces and are unable to be properly cleaned and disinfected. If new cages are going to be constructed that include a self contained drainage system as explained by the owner during the previous inspection, a copy of the plans should be submitted to the local health authority to ensure compliance with State and local rules, regulations, and ordinances.

- rabbits are closer to horses or chickens than cats and dogs and shelter rules for their comfort and care should reflect that.

- this is the equivalent of asking a farm to look like a hospital.

1.6 (a)4. Some rabbits are unable to remain clean and dry due to the amount of excreta in their primary enclosures. The rabbit enclosures in the main rabbit room were not cleaned often enough to prevent the rabbits from becoming contaminated with their own urine and feces, or the urine and feces of the other rabbits housed in the same enclosure.

- rabbits are continuously defecating and urinating. they forage, poop and pee. there is no such thing as a clean litterbox, especially when the recommended handfuls of hay are also provided in the litter boxes. this is something few officials understand. they are not dogs or cats.

1.6 (d) Wire boxes were being constructed to hold rabbits during the cleaning process. These holding boxes must be constructed in such a manor as to prevent injury to or escape of the rabbits placed in them.

- this precludes rabbits from having any free-run time while their pens are being cleaned? they have to be placed in boxes?

1.7 (a) Hay used as food for the rabbits that is placed inside litter receptacles is not discarded and replaced on a daily basis as required. Upon arrival, inspectors noted that rabbits had no pellet type food in their enclosures. Almost all the rabbits were jumping on their enclosure doors excitedly awaiting their food rations. During the previous inspection, inspectors were told that pellet type food is only given every other day. Rabbits must be fed at least once each day. Food from the previous day shall be discarded and fresh food supplied daily.

- HRS and other guidelines say rabbits should only be fed a handful of pellets and only as much as they can eat at one setting, or less, eg: every second day. No rabbit caregiver without a vendetta would argue this.

- with this type of proper care, the pellets become treats, of course they're going to be excited.

- most rescues will add new hay on top of old hay for at least a day or two.

1.7 (b) Food, particularly hay, is placed in the litter boxes for the rabbits to eat. This hay is contaminated with excreta and is not discarded and replaced on a daily basis as required in 1.7 (a) above. - as above, rabbits need to be encouraged to eat hay, thus its placed in their litter boxes. rabbits continuously defecate when they forage. there is no such thing as a clean litterbox when the recommended handfuls of hay are also provided. they are not dogs or cats. The sugar glider housed at the facility was being fed a type of pellet food that was stored in a Nestlé’s Quick container. The owner of the facility did not know what type of food was in the container, so inspectors were unable to determine if the sugar glider was being fed an appropriate diet. Food shall be free from contamination, wholesome, palatable, and of sufficient quantity and nutritional value to meet the normal daily requirements for the condition and size of the animal.

- this just says the officials couldn't determine the brand of food.

1.7 (d) Hay used as food for the rabbits is placed inside the litter boxes and quickly becomes contaminated by excreta. Containers of food shall be accessible to animals and shall be located so as to minimize contamination by excreta. Hay racks designed for feeding purposes and properly secured inside cages to prevent injury to the animals, may be used to prevent contamination of hay.

- rabbits need to be encouraged to eat hay, thus its placed in their litter boxes. rabbits continuously defecate when they forage. there is no such thing as a clean litterbox when the recommended handfuls of hay are also provided. they are not dogs or cats.

1.7 (e) Feeding pans are not cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis as required. Rabbit food was placed in the food bowls that had been left in the enclosure since the previous feeding.

1.7 (h) Upon arrival, inspectors noted that some water bottles were completely empty. Water must be accessible to animal at all times, unless contraindicated by the supervising veterinarian. Water bottles are not cleaned on a daily basis. Some of the water bottles contained a green film. Receptacles for water must be cleaned daily.

1.8 (a) Excreta is not removed from primary enclosures often enough to prevent contamination of the animals contained therein, and to control odors. At the time of inspection, there was a strong urine odor in the main rabbit room.

- urine odors are exacerbated by the presence of wet hay. the odors are almost impossible to control when unlimited hay is being administered in bedding as recommended by the HRS and other sources.

1.8 (b) Primary enclosures are not cleaned often enough to prevent an accumulation of debris and excreta. At the time of this inspection, there was an excessive amount of excreta and debris on cage floors and resting benches in enclosures of rabbits that are not litter trained.

- the constant use full bales of hay generate dust and debris. cobwebs are a natural result and are not harmful.

1.8 (c) Cages and hard surfaced pens are not cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis. During this inspection, no cages were cleaned during the hours that inspectors were on the premises. There were no disinfectants currently being used in animal enclosures. The only disinfectant on the premises was a small bottle of bleach, but inspectors were told that disinfectants will not be used in animal enclosures. Floors are not disinfected on a daily basis. All floors, animal enclosures and other pens or holding areas must be cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis. Urine encrusted stains in primary enclosures and litter receptacles must be thoroughly scrubbed to remove the stains before the final disinfection process.

- dogs don't defaecate in litter boxes, cat waste is particularly gnarly and both carry many communicable diseases requiring sterile conditions. rabbits do not. pasturella is only a minor concern, very few strains are virulent enough to be an issue, they're easy to spot and isolate and the sterile conditions for rabbits are more detrimental than helpful. Establishing and boosting proper immune systems in rabbits are paramount, they need environmental exposure.

- disinfectants are detrimental to rabbits' respiratory and olfactory systems, instinctively uncomfortable, environmentally unfriendly and as noted causes immunity issues.

Inspectors were told that steam cleaners will be purchased to clean and disinfect primary enclosures. There are many steam cleaners available on the market, but not all steam cleaners produce enough heat to generate steam that is sufficient to destroy microorganisms. It is strongly recommended that the steam cleaner purchased is certified by the Federal EPA for disinfection purposes.

- rabbits don't need steam cleaners, rabbits do not carry communicable diseases and the only one they do carry, pasturella, will be more communicable with the humidity!

1.9 (a) Records must be made available regarding the treatment of animals at the facility, such as daily medical logs indicating the type of treatment provided and the duration of treatment. There were several animals in the isolation room at the time of this inspection, but only one animal, a guinea pig named Bippy, had a medical chart indicating the daily medication this animal was to receive. There were several missed days of medication for this guinea pig according to the medical chart on the animal’s cage. Evidence of veterinary examinations and site visits with documented findings must also be made available to inspectors. These records are required to document compliance with the provisions of this act. A medical folder was being developed at the time of this inspection for use in the isolation room that will show the treatment each animal is receiving and the reason for the animal’s isolation.

- this is not neglecting rabbits, its neglecting the ridiculous amount of paperwork required mostly to satisfy the harassers who are mass reporting minor offenses!

- more volunteers and donations or better yet, fundraising to hire a full time staff member will alleviate these problems. please donate if not volunteer.

1.9 (g) Multiple items, including a dishwasher was stored in the isolation room at the time of this inspection. There were several animal carriers stored in the isolation room that contained hay, feces, and other materials that had not been cleaned out.

- officious (carriers were empty).

The isolation room is not to be used for any purpose other than the segregation of animals with signs of communicable disease. All items that are being stored in the isolation room must be removed, cleaned and disinfected, or disposed of if the item can not be disinfected, and appropriately stored elsewhere to prevent contamination.

Animals that were not exhibiting or being treated for signs of communicable disease were housed in the isolation room at the time of this inspection. There were no daily treatment logs or other records showing that animals housed in the isolation room were being treated for a communicable disease.

- rabbits very rarely carry communicable diseases or communicable parasites, and the ones they do carry are easily eradicated.

1.13 (a) Some animals housed at the facility did not have proper records at the time of this inspection. There were several cages that did not have cage cards or other identifying information for the animals contained in the enclosures.

All animals housed at the shelter must have proper records indicating the date the animal arrived, description of the animal, breed, age, and sex; name of the owner or person from whom the animal was acquired, and the final disposition of the animal when the animal dies or otherwise leaves the facility.

- shelters requiring this level of record keeping are traditionally funded! to request this from a volunteer-run operation is unreasonable, and even professionally run operations get busy and have lapses in paperwork.

- bottom line is that while given the level of complaints instigated by the very aggressive harassers, its understandable the city wants to put them under this microscope, but it's still not only grossly unfair, its detrimental to the rabbits!

DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT A FRIEND OR AN ACQUAINTANCE OF KRISTIE CORSON OR ANYONE ELSE INVOLVED IN THIS RESCUE!! I AM A PROFESSIONAL REPORTER WHO HAS INVESTIGATED THESE COMPLAINTS FOR YEARS WITHOUT EVER FINDING SERIOUS VIOLATIONS, ONLY COUNTLESS INSTANCES OF PERSONAL GRUDGES AND FAMILY DISAGREEMENTS LEADING TO AN ASTOUNDING LEVEL OF HARASSMENT!!

THIS IS DEMORALIZING AND CONFUSING RESCUES ALL ACROSS THE CONTINENT AND IT NEEDS TO STOP!!!!!!

Thank you new member fourleggedfrog (aka...um, I know who you are but won't post it publicly). I was supplied with this information prior to your posting it. Anyhoo....I sure wish that these people were as diligent at my local county animal shelter or many others that I have been to. It still sounds like a witch hunt to me.

Froglegs and Jersey....get a clue. Your vitriol is not welcome on this forum. As Pipp said (and she is the owner here) this is not the place for this vendetta. Keep it elsewhere.

It is not a vendetta when you post the facts of a government inspection that she actually stated that she had on LMRR facebook page. This is the truth of the inspection. You want to believe her over the Health Dept??

1.7 (e) Feeding pans are not cleaned and disinfected on a daily basis as required. Rabbit food was placed in the food bowls that had been left in the enclosure since the previous feeding

Are they going to come get my rabbits now too?

I sanitize my bowls once a week. And then they were also criticized by the likes of hereinjersey and fourleggedfrog (elsewhere) for attempting to raise funds for a commercial dishwasher to comply with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back