Living Spot.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FallingStar

Reaction score
Well I was just wondering that if my rabbits are living outside in a hutch (with a plastic top so rain water doesn't get inside) with a nestbox with hay inside it, would they be ok? Because here is Washington it's the rainy, windy and snowy season. And I'm just wondering about them. Thanks..

Karlee

Are they outside now? Have they acclimated to the weather?

If they have been kept indoors, you really should wait until the spring to put them outside. They need time to get used to the cold and it won't happen fast enough at this point. It could be very stressful.

You also need to be concerned about preditors.Will they beprotected from neighborhood dogs, raccoons, hawks, opposum, fox, etc? Can you provide a decent level of attention so they don't feel abandoned?

I personally have no objection to keeping rabbits outside. (Mine are all outside.) But if they are indoors now, you can't just stick them outside at this time of the year.

Yes, they are protected and save. I give them alot of attention I play/pet them everyday. They are outside right now. They have been outside for awhile now. I'm just consider about them getting to cold. I have hay and a nest box in there. Do you think they would get too cold?

Karlee

Some of my buns live outside. I have a plastic sheet that I can roll down and roll up attached to the top of each cage, this means I can roll it down when it's cold, at night, when the rain might drive in, things like that, to protect them from the weather. Mine do fine, but I know the climate is different over there.

As long as they can not get wet and have a place to get out of the wind (like a snug, dry box full of straw or hay) they should be fine. (I was worried they were indoor bunnies, sorry for the misunderstanding!).

When I had mine outside of the barn, I used a burlap curtain to drop over the open side of the cages to protect them from wind, ice and snow. It worked great. The important thing is to keep the cage dry, as well as the bedding materials in the box. (If they soil it, it will need to be changed frequently.) Make sure they have fresh water several times a day if it gets cold enough to freeze. And give them as much attention as you can.

It's probably sensible and fair to get them something to cover the front. Another piece of tarp to fold down and then fix down (bricks would work) would be a sinple solution, but an ace one :)

DSCF2601.jpg

This is what we have.

See the plastic things looped over? They go up and down. When they are fixed down there are about 1 inch gaps at either side so the bunny won't suffocate, but is protected from the majority of the weather.

I cover mine when it's dark (unless its really hot in the summer), and sometimes if the rain is driving in, or its really windy. It just gives you more options, thats all.

Buck Jones kept his buns outside during the winter and they were fine.
Read on....

Buck Jones wrote:
Twenty degrees F registering on the large, outside garden thermometer. Snow is swirling and eddying about as I look out the window at the hutches in the back yard.

Plexiglas "storm panels" are installed and I can see the buns cleaning, preening and washing their faces, or snoozing in the midst of winter's heavy hand.

They are obviously comfy and cozy.

All is right, here,...for today.

Buck:)

:biggrin2:

Mine all live in a large pole barn. I put straw bales or plexiglass across the gap under the doors to stop drafts, fill their cages with straw, and water them often, using warm water for them to drink. If the temps get severe, I drape blankets over the cages too. I have never lost any to temps, and only one minor case of frostbite. That one case was in temps that were -22F, too. So I agree with Blue Giants, with the proper care rabbits can do fine outside.

Latest posts

Back