Live Rabbits are Lunch at Big Cat Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Rabbits are companions not live stock" a group on facebook has posted another photo of Big Cat Rescue which is in fact, horrible.

It is three girls holding up 3 dead rabbits smiling :/

And it has come to my attention on BCR most of these cats are in fact going to be in captivity for life. Just look on thier facebook page and the discussions goign on. It isn't just rehabilitation. So I think that changes it quite a bit.

A News Cast: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9lwrzk13c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U9lwrzk13c[/ame]

Myia09 wrote:
"Rabbits are companions not live stock" a group on facebook has posted another photo of Big Cat Rescue which is in fact, horrible.

It is three girls holding up 3 dead rabbits smiling :/

I just looked up the photo and as completely sickening as it is, I would not judge the entire rescue on those three idiots. HOWEVER, if everyone there is like that... Well, I really did have a good opinion on Big Cat Rescue before, but if that's the way they are, I would not find myself supporting them as much.

Really, them posting videos on youtube of them eating the rabbits is unnecessary. There is a fine line between feeding them to get the animal stimulated and filming it to get their jollies.

I have been reading a lot of chatter on this, but I decided to finally watch the actual video of the rabbits being eaten so I could form an opinion beyond that one snapshot.

In the video, the moment where the "trustworthy" bunny "touches the cat's nose" occured right after the cat did a tentative swat. The rabbit wheeled around defensively at the cat. As for the gentle bunnies walking right up to the cats to be slaughtered with ease? Well in the video there was a heck of a lot of CHASING going on, as well as kicking, struggling, and fighting back - all things that a wild rabbit would do.

I don't see any issue with this particular practice. I will say that I see a potential issue with the allegations made in that video if they are true, though - although the story of "animal keeper gone rescuer" is pretty common. The main question for me is if she is still buying and misleading, or if purchases stopped in '97 as she claims in pursuit of rescue.

I will say though, I found the news clip somewhat misleading. For example, it talked about cats born at the facility, implying they were bred there, but having read on several of their rescue cases in the past as they unfolded, they often do get in animals who are already pregnant - as do most rescues! Dogs and cats were born at the shelter I volunteered at all the time; doesn't mean they were breeding. The news story also talked about the breeding of "bear cats" as if they were big cats, but they aren't. Binturongs are viverridae, not felines; to call them a cat would be like calling hyenas and mongoose cats as well. These two misleading elements make me trust the story less, though I would very much like to know more.

It's in the air for me. I actually watched a video on youtube of a lion male eating an already slaughtered white rabbit. The rabbit looked like it was probably raised in a facility to begin with, like the ones used in science labs. I have no problem with that, the big cats need to eat. I have BCR on facebook and they always post videos of toys they create for the cats as well as pictures. Carnivorous animals need to eat and need to be stimulated with live prey (regardless of whether they know how to kill or not, they are wild animals and most will stay at the refuge for life so let them play) I never liked the idea of killing food FOR the animal anyway- be it reptiles or big cats. Its harsh but has anyone watched National Geographic ever? Jeez, Nature is scary. It's bloody. It's traumatic and gory. There's never any such thing as a pretty death so I say live and let live, erp- well, you know what I mean :p

The problem everyone has with this is they do not need to eat live rabbits. Pre-killed is the fact of life. Predators need to eat. Feeding live to captive born cats causes extreme torment to the domesticated prey. Especially when the reality is they are feeding live domestic rabbits to big cats that can not legally be released or they have no intention on releasing them.

Yes, I understand that so why not make the cats' captive lives bearable and fun? If they were in the wild they teach their babies how to hunt and prey gets maimed for hours. I love bunnies, goodness knows I do, but I believe more in the natural well being of the cats.

There are MANY other enrichment activities the cats can do.

Between environment enrichment, sound enrichment, smell enrichment, toys, swimming ,ect ect.

Most other rescues and zoos don't feed live meat.
It is NOT necessary.

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Yes, I understand that so why not make the cats' captive lives bearable and fun? If they were in the wild they teach their babies how to hunt and prey gets maimed for hours. I love bunnies, goodness knows I do, but I believe more in the natural well being of the cats.

And most people here believe in the equal treatment of ALL animals. I often have to actually defend the welfare of snakes to rabbit people. ALL animals deserve a pain free humane life when entered into domesticity.

Yes but that pain free life is unattainable when you want the best for your pets. Since the cats are in someone's care as pets (more or less)then they deserve the best care. Rabbits in the natural order of things are prey animals and while I understand and care deeply for their well being and it would kill me to see harm inflicted on them and especially in their eyes the terror! But the natural hierarchy has rabbits as feeders. This I can live with. Now, mind you- this is strictly my opinion. Once people learn to stop getting big cats "because they have shock value and are incredible" blah blah blah then we can fight to rehabilitate the big cats already in captivity (to their life span) and then slowly move towards freedom for all these poor little bunnies. ^^

Acacia-Berry wrote:
Yes but that pain free life is unattainable when you want the best for your pets. Since the cats are in someone's care as pets (more or less)then they deserve the best care. Rabbits in the natural order of things are prey animals and while I understand and care deeply for their well being and it would kill me to see harm inflicted on them and especially in their eyes the terror! But the natural hierarchy has rabbits as feeders. This I can live with. Now, mind you- this is strictly my opinion. Once people learn to stop getting big cats "because they have shock value and are incredible" blah blah blah then we can fight to rehabilitate the big cats already in captivity (to their life span) and then slowly move towards freedom for all these poor little bunnies. ^^

As someone who works with reptiles, who eat rabbits, I understand. There is a difference between feeding rabbits live and frozen. These cats DO NOT need live rabbits, most rescues/zoos condone the act, because they get enrichment from other activities.

So, you are talking to the wrong person because I work very closely with "predators". I have to maintain a balance.
But I treat all the animals-including the feeders-with respect and pain free life. You can euthensize a rabbit without pain and then feed it.

A big cat does NOT need a live rabbit to have "The best care" possible. They are given plenty of other enrichment activities that satisfy those instincts.

I don't see how a pain free life is unattainable when you want the best. I don't understand the logic (Not being mean, I am just saying I don't understand what you mean)

Some snake owners try to use the same excuse for feeding live. It's natural... BS! Natural goes out the window when you are talking about a domesticated prey animal and a predator in a domestic environment. In the wild the rabbit would have greater odds of escaping. Not be tossed in a closed pen with an animal that can never be released to the wild to an animal unfamiliar with hunting so it will likely play with its food and cause that much more torment to the prey.

I'm sure my cat would LOVE for me to let him eat all the finches that come to the feeder or to have finch birdie in his diet. Should I go out and buy some so he has "enrichment"? No. I substitute with toys to get that same behavior and provide a varied diet.

It's okay to be on the fence. :) It's a very complicated issue with pro and cons on both sides.

True that!! lol it's contradictory to my worldview which wants to see everything in peace and harmony but working with today's society and situations. :/ But to each their own I guess. I do not live near any big cats (there are NONE in NL, thank goodness) and there is no problem here with released pets or wild bunnies in living space with humans. etc. . . SO yea, it's real easy for me to butt in my opinion with no experience!

I discussed this a bit with Jeff yesterday and he asked me this "Where do the felines come from? If nature were to really take its course, wouldn't the felines have either passed or healed on their own?" He didn't approve of the rabbit idea at all. He loves animals and especially loves felines but in this case he'd prefer to let nature run its course rather than step in and 'play God' and sacrifice another for the feline. That was his stance anyway.

I'm not sure if I feel the same as Jeff. I can certainly see some truth in it. It reminds me of Meerkat Manor and how they don't step in and how I would always scream at the TV for them to do something. LOL. I guess part of me just has the desire to try and rescue every living creature possible. However, when is it right to rescue one and sacrifice another? Why do we get to choose who is more important? I guess if it's an endagered animal, I could see it a bit differently... I don't know. Part of me thinks those felines deserve just as much of a chance and do require natural hunting abilities so live food can be a vital component to the rehab program. The other part of me thinks maybe it would be best to rehab them on a sort of sanctuary setting where they could hunt more naturally or at least some sort of natural setting that provides brush, tunnels, etc. to provide the prey a chance, or at least some more 'natural' way of dying.

I guess Ican see why they would need tofeed live animals. I agree that nature is harsh and that really is the reality of things and it's best to maintain things as they would bein the wild. Again, I also believe that to maintain things as it would be in the wild, you'd have to have food that could actually be found in the wild. Wild hares, cottontails, etc. have different body shape, color,and instincts. There should be places for the rabbit to hide just as there would be in the wild. If you really want to teach a feline to hunt, then I would definitely assume that stalking and chasing would be a vital part of the hunt. A domestic rabbit that might have been raised with other animals as companions definitely will not have the same instincts. That's where it goes wrong for me.

Watching an innocent, curious rabbit going up to a feline only to realize that this one isn't nice like that cat he lived with is heartbreaking. I'd feel like it's the ultimate betrayal to the rabbit to be honest.

I was also very saddened at the way that they handle the whole situation. I know that if I had to do it, I would definitely not be asking people to caption pictures nor holding out dead rabbits with a huge smile on my face.

I'm normally very skeptical when it comes to these things so I try not to judge too quickly. However, in this instance I sincerely believe that there is much room for improvement and a lot more tact and respect would be welcome.

I just watched the video...

Is it actually legal to breed such felines? :shock:If so, that REALLY needs to be dealt with no? Maybe that's an even bigger issue :expressionless

It is not enough to voice your opinion, if you truly care please call or write the Tampa (Hillsborough County) authorities and file animal cruelty complaints for these unfortunate domestic rabbits who were tortured and killed unnecessarily. It only takes a few minutes and can save many precious lives. Call other Wildlife Rehabs and you will find no other Wildlife "Sanctuary" feeds live domestic animals (rabbits or chickens) to any Big Wild Cat, nor do they brutally kill them for feeding permanent big cats. They feed frozen chicken and other meat. Bobcats are very instinctual, and don't need live prey stimulus to tap into their wildness to train them to be hunters. Your family house cat could survive outside easily let alone a fierce Bobcat, use common sense. If you are aware of Unethical rehabs that do this, know that it is Not necessary but a choice they make.

Deliberately throwing Live Domestic Rabbits into Big cat caged pens - domestic rabbits that are not a part of a natural habitat in the wild that have no chance of escaping is horrific and barbaric and only teaches Bobcats to hunt down domestic rabbits in the back yards of families, while promoting animal cruelty.

If you have seen the photo and videos of the BCR workers proudly displaying the slaughter of innocent domestic rabbits please ask the Authorities why charges are not being filed for the 3 bloody beaten domestic rabbits that were clearly Not killed by big cats and taken from their cages, nor are they frozen dead rabbits in this condition, but instead killed in a horrific manor for feeding to - big cats, in which 2 of the rabbits appear to still be alive and 1 dead in this photo.

Your Voice Will Make A Difference!

Florida Animal Cruelty Laws:
828.12. Cruelty to animals
(2) A person who intentionally commits an act to any animal which results in the cruel death, or excessive or repeated infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering, or causes the same to be done, is guilty of a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or by a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.
828.03. Agents of counties, societies, etc., may prosecute violators
(1) Any county or any society or association for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, organized under the laws of this state, may appoint agents for the purpose of investigating violations of any of the provisions of this chapter or any other law of the state for the purpose of protecting children and animals or preventing any act of cruelty thereto.
Contacts:

Florida Fish and Wildlife / USDA rule over Wildlife Centers

Florida Fish and Wildlife Executive Director Nick Wiley 850-487-3796

USDA [email protected]

Also file complaints with:

Inspector General: 850-922-4637
Governor's Office: 850-488-7146

Ask for email addresses to write in your complaint and in the email ask for confirmation it was received, get a case number and follow up for update.

The BCR is currently under investigation for animal cruelty and for the death of the 3 Bobcats who were brought in from Alabama where they should have remained, non native Bobcats are non- releasable by law in Florida.

Latest posts

Back