Little help please?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the other poster that you definitely want to get a firm offer from the pet store before you count on making a set price per bunny. The standard buying rate for pet stores is $10-$12.50 per rabbit, and they they turn it around to sell for $25.99-$60.00 depending on the store. I sold to two different pet stores in the past, one who charged customers $25.99 for a bunny and another that charged $44.99 and the first store paid $10 and the second $12. I have never once heard from another breeder that a store ever paid more than $12.50 for a rabbit, so I would be shocked (happily so, for you) if you got more than that, especially for mix bunnies.

The tri colors have a special place in my heart, though, so I hope you get lots of those! They are usually really popular.

thank you and i will be checking on the prices from the stores i have two or three that are interested i still have to call one back to talk to the manager

i hope for the tri as well but as long as they are all healthy thats all that matters to me

Is there Any Rex breeders on here from around Ajax where I like or at least close to Toronto? I would like to see babies being born And get some tips in real life it's good to have the tips from here but I am vary hands on when it comes to learning

Koumyou_69 wrote:
Is there Any Rex breeders on here from around Ajax where I like or at least close to Toronto? I would like to see babies being born And get some tips in real life it's good to have the tips from here but I am vary hands on when it comes to learning
Rabbits are usually very secretive when they have their babes, so the chance of actually seeing the babies beng born, even with your own rabbits, is very slim.

It is a very good idea to talk to other breeders though, I hope you can find some.

lelanatty wrote:
Koumyou_69 wrote:
Rabbits are usually very secretive when they have their babes, so the chance of actually seeing the babies beng born, even with your own rabbits, is very slim.

It is a very good idea to talk to other breeders though, I hope you can find some.
I have seen rabbits being born many many times (my desk is right near my rabbits).

However, I would never ever invite another breeder into my home when my rabbits are due to give birth - it would be far too stressful for them.

My favorite birth that I watched (well two) were from lionheads.

Miss Bea was pregnant - VERY pregnant and she gave me this horrid look on her due date at about 3 pm and started gathering up hay in her mouth and running around her cage (she would never use a nestbox to give birth but she would let me move them into a nestbox later on). She made her nest with occasional glares at me - as if I was supposed to remind her that it was her due date.

Then she started pulling fur and having her babies.

I looked at the clock when she was done - it was 48 minutes from when she started gathering hay to having the kits.

My second favorite story is of Butterscotch. She made one of the nicest nests I'd ever seen - another doe that hated nestboxes for giving birth and she'd toss it all around the cage. So she made this gorgeous nest in the corner....and then when she gave birth - she stuck her HEAD in the nest and gave birth to kits on the floor.

I was watching the whole time - and laughed so hard at her. She looked at me as I put them in their nest and it was almost like she was saying, "I KNEW you would do that - I needed to give you SOMETHING to do...".

It wasn't her first litter either. She was one of the best mamas I ever had.

Anyway - each doe is different and I think you'll find most breeders will not invite you to watch their does give birth due to stress on the rabbits from having a stranger around.

You will probably not even know the babies are born until you see movement in the nestbox. They are not like over pets that need help from humans. Rabbits do all the work, just watch quietly :)

ok and are you guys/girls sure about the cleaning? i have seen other animals dye of sepsus because they were not cleaned and got infected i just want to cover all bases

Koumyou_69 wrote:
ok and are you guys/girls sure about the cleaning? i have seen other animals dye of sepsus because they were not cleaned and got infected i just want to cover all bases
In the years I've been breeding - I've had over 100 litters I think (have to go back and count but that's pretty darn close) and I've never ever cleaned a rabbits' umbilical cord nor have I ever heard of it being done by other breeders.

Koumyou_69 wrote:
Should I breed them the same day or wait between breedings? And what is the likelihood of rejection?
I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but I will try my best to answer it.

If both of the rabbits are ready, they should start mating quickly when you put them together. If one of them isn't willing to breed, try again another day. If they are willing, some breeders will breed them twice in one day, about 6-12 hours apart, to help make sure the does get pregnant.

If you meant "Should I breed them the same day they have babies?" then the answer is definitely NO. The doe should be bred again after the kits are weaned. You won't have to worry about this though since you are only having one litter.

I always try to breed two or more girls on the same day - that way they give birth around the same time (hopefully) and I have someone available as a foster mom if necessary.

TinysMom wrote:
I always try to breed two or more girls on the same day - that way they give birth around the same time (hopefully) and I have someone available as a foster mom if necessary.
:yeahthat: and sorry I misunderstood your question. :)

I personally have specific rabbits that I breed at the same time as my first timers because I know that they will then be available as a foster should I need to foster any. In your case I would say yes, breed both on the same day, that way if one is not a good mom you can move some of her babies to the other mom.

To transfer babies they used to say to put a little Vick's Vapor Rub on the mom's nose...please do not do that it is painful to the rabbit. I put a little vanilla extract on the mom's nose and by the time that scent wears off the bunnies you moved over smell like the rest of hers.

ok thank you vary much for suggestions i recently went to the dominican and brought back alot of vanilla extract it is stronger then it is here would that work or no?

i bought a rabbit breeding and care book that also had types of rabbits in it and coal looks vary much like either a silver fox breed or a medium chocolate sabel any thoughts?

Yes, that vanilla will work, although I would dilute a little with some water for that purpose(maybe 1 drop of vanilla to 1 drop water,) should be plenty to put on her nose.

Back