Litterbox Mayhem!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Ack! What do I do? At first, Toby HATED Yesterday's News litter and would dig at it and play with it, etc. After awhile, he didn't care and used his litter box like it was supposed to be used. I was happy...

Now, a few weeks later, he has started making messes again. He hops up to the litter box, sticks his head in it, and will either start chewing on the sides of the box and picking it up, or will start digging and throwing litter and waste everywhere.

He only does it with one of the litter boxes that are in our room, not his cage. He never used to do this when he was a single housebun. Now, I don't know what to do! It is infuriating Will, and I don't blame him. I wouldn't want to step on little bunny-poos and litter pellets every morning.

:huh

Right now, I have Toby locked back in his cage and Emma is out and about. He is chewing on the bars and wants out. :grumpy: I don't know if I should let him back out. It seems that his litter pan habits have gone out the window.

:litterfew:

Toby and Emma live in the same cage. They have a nice, big, NIC hutch that they share. It is 3 panels long, by 2 panels wide, and 3 panels high. It has two shelves and a hidey area on the bottom. Lots of room there! There is one litter box that they share. They have been pretty good about using it, but there are a lot of little poops everywhere on their bottom floor each morning. I don't think they are kicking them out of the box, because it is mostly poop, not litter.

:dunno

Toby also has been peeing on the carpet a lot more. He only does it near the litter boxes that are in our bedroom. I put out another box to try and get him to go potty in that one instead of the carpet. The two boxes are right next to each other. Nope, he still prefers to pee everywhere else. :(

I thought I had this all figured out and that Toby would be happy with his new friend. Why would he mark everything that they share in the bedroom? He sleeps in the same cage with her every night. They are always close together. They groom each other and I have even seen them snuggle together while napping. Why would his litter habits get so bad, so fast? I don't think it's a urinary tract problem, because then he would be going everywhere, right? He only marks near the litter boxes.

:banghead

What can I do? I keep vacuuming and cleaning up his messes, but I am at the end of my rope! I hate having Toby caged, because I know how good he can be. I have been cleaning the carpeting with a urine spray for cats (cleans it up pretty well) and will probably start with the 50/50 vinegar/water solution next.

Does the vinegar/water solution stain or bleach carpeting? The bunny pee in one area actually stained the carpet. We washed it with a carpet cleaner and pet strain remover, and it still has a yellow-pink tinge to it. Our carpeting is a mixture of colors, so I have no idea what could have caused it to stain this way. It almost looks like the dark(er) colors have faded.

:vacuum:

Thanks again, everyone!

I have one bun that used to empty her litter pan. It was like an obsession with her.
I finally fashioned a grid that fits in the pan over the litter.
You can also use plastic craft screen that can be found in lots of stores.
Some members have used the grid made for fluorescent light fixtures.

Most of my buns have very good litter habits.
Some will ALWAYS pee in their pan, but often have the errant poops around and about.
I have one bun that will pee in her pan, but pretty much refuses to poop in it. She always poops in the same corner of her pen which makes clean-up a little easier. If I put a pan in that corner, she changes corners. Go figure.
And then I have the two buns that have fluctuating habits. I usually have to clean up pee a couple of times a week for each. I think they do it to keep me insane.

I've always used white vinegar to clean up, and have never had and problems with it causing carpeting to fade or discolor.

I've found that any changes or disruptions in their routine or environment can effect their litter habits.
When I moved all of the buns to the new room, I had to retrain about half of them.
A couple of weeks later they had settled in and most of them returned to their previous habits.

I also was wondering this because I have had a lionhead before but she always made a HUGE mess with litter and poops...it was everywhere on my carpet near her cage. The screen in litter box is a very nice and brilliant idea but how will the poop go through the screen and into the litter box to keep clean and keep bunny from kicking it out? Or is it just for pee? :?

Thanks

Also whats a good remedy or thing to do to keep my house from smelling very strong urine?

I have remedied the big mess problems by getting a bigger litter box (one with a lip on the sides). There are still occasional little poos here and there, but not bad. Toby has been marking less, as well.

For stink, I use a product called "Citrus Magic" from Wal*Mart. I also put all used litter in a trash can that can be closed. There is also a baking soda box at the bottom of our trash can (outside of the bag). I've heard a 50/50 solution of water/vinegar works. I haven't tried it because my boyfriend hates the smell of vinegar. I also burn lots of candles and use Febreeze Air Effects spray. I spray it on the opposite side of the room. Also airing out the room helps. :)

For urine smell, clean any pee accidents with dilute white vinegar. It works just like expensive products such as Nature's Miracle to remove the stain and odor. Make sure your litter is a good, absorbent type. Soggy newspaper (and Carefresh, IMO) stinks. I like wood pellet litter, so much more absorbent.

Also, unneutered rabbits tend to have stronger smelling urine. So if it's not done yet, that willhelp.

Latest posts

Back