litterbox failure after changing litter material

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda

Reaction score
how common is it for a bun to not use the litterbox if you put a new kind of litter in it? Alex was always on aspen chips or shredded paper. last night i put all woody pet in to, and woke up 3 o clock this morning to see rabbit pee on the carpet and poops in two diffrent spots. i cleaned up the best i could and went and shredded some paper real fast to put ontop of the woody pet. i hope he will use it now! since my rabbits are in the bonding stage i have been switching cages every day so i definally dont want pee smell on the floor! maybe put some white vinager on it and let it set and then scrub it out? i just used a wet wash cloth tonight.

i just woke up and looked in Alex's litter box. he is using it now that i put shredded paper on top of the woody pet. maybe i can gradulay take the paper away where he will just be on woody pet. maybe it was too hard for his feet?

Vinegar is good if you catch the pee when it's still damp - it should get rid of the smell.

For carpet stains use something with active Oxygen in it - the Oxy products all use Active Oxygen which dissolves protein based stains like blood and urine. I find that it gets rid of the smell as well. Hydrogen Peroxide works too, but test to make sure it doesn't bleach out the color of the carpet.

I ran out of my usual Cell-Sorb litter and was using aspen shavings (which I keep for my guinea pig) and my guys were quite unhappy. They have been pooping all over their pen (unusual for them) and peeing outside of the box. I can't wait to go and get some more litter today.

Hi manda!

Some bunnies are particular when it comes to their litter. You might need to switch over gradually (like withfeed ;)).

I use the 50/50 white vinegar & water mix to clean the carpet.

Tootsie stop using her pan the other day. I couldn't figure out why at first. I had just cleaned it so it didn't stink. I checked the bag of Woody Pet and it was ok. All of her belongings were in their proper place and nothing out of the ordinary was going on. Go figure ??
Then I peeked in the back of her cage where her pan is......I had forgotten to spread the Woody Pet out after dumping a scoop-full in it. I smoothed out the pile and Tootsie just about knocked me over trying to get to her litter pan so she could pee. Poor bunnie!

:D

~Jim

Back