Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandy456

Reaction score
Babii is litter trained. I baught care-freshbecause i herd wod shavings wern't good. She HATES it. She pushes itinto a deserted corner of her cage and ignors it. I tried hay, but iwas gone in like 5 minutes so my last resort was..wood shavings, i waswondering if i put some pellets in the food procesor and grinded it allup would that be okay?

Have you tried pine pellets? I am not entirelysure that using food pellets as a litter would be a good idea. Soundslike it would in the very least stink, not be absorbant.

You mean grinding up pellets she eats? Iwouldn't do that as she'd probably try to eat it and it wouldstink.It also has the chance of going mouldy.Sodefinitely not a good idea.

I use pine pellets and they are fantastic. Very absorbent. I neversmell anything unless I leave the litter box for quite a few days, butI change mine at least once a day or every other day. I just put a bitof newspaper on the top so it's easier to clean and so it doesn't hurtthe girls feet.

I can't believe i have got my rabbit to use histray at long last. He would not use it and kept tipping the tray upsidedown so where he was doing his business, i scooped it up and put it inhis tray. He ignored it for a while and then started using it. All hehas in his tray is a bit of sawdust and a bit of hay and now he uses itevery day :colors:

I use Yesterday's News, recycled newspaper for litter. You could try that for litter.

It sounds like he's getting the hang of it. That's great!:elephant:

Brandy - if you are going to use wood shavings,try Aspen shavings, not Pine or Cedar.It'srecommended not to use Pine or Cedar shavingsdue to thearomatic oils potentially being harmful to the bunnies with longexposure.

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I use Yesterday's News, recycled newspaper forlitter. You could try that for litter.

I love yn!That stuff is great.Just remember you got to keep the potty(litter box) clean.Like a cat they wont use a nasty box.If yourthinking the litter box will get mold you need to think about how oftenyou are cleaning that box.Gross.

Do you have litter covering her wholecage? Many rabbits don't like that and will push it out oftheir way. Try keeping her litter only in her litterbox.

And please do not use cedar shavings. They are notsafe. You can use pine shavings or pellets if they are kilndried, which means that all the toxins have been removed.

I think she'd be more likely to play with shredded newspaper. It's safe, but it's too much like a toy for them.

I really like the compressed wood pellets.

We tried adding folded newspaper under hay forour guys litterboxes when we were searching for better litterideas. I wouldn't recommend just shredded paper...it doesn'thave anywhere near the same absorbancy of the pellets! Makesa disgusting mess in the end!:?

Try the Carefresh again, only keep it in a litter box and not all over the cage.

Does your petstore carry Feline Pine? That's a more expensivepet store version of the wood pellet litter that most of us use.

You can find Yesterdays News(paper Pellets) atmost petstores. Or I use compressed pine pellets (horsebedding), both are good at absorbing urine and keeping smelldown. These are IMO the best types of cheap litteravailable. Make some calls, check to see what is available toyou. I am in Ontario too, so getting the YN should be easyenough at the petstore, if you don't have a TSC, Country Depot, HomeHardwareor anything around you that might carry pine pelletsor wood stove pellets.:)

AngelnSnuffy wrote:
I use Yesterday's News, recycled newspaper forlitter. You could try that for litter.

i got a bag of that today- it's working out so far.....

Latest posts

Back