Litter with rose petals....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that rose petals are safe to eat, but I could be wrong.
My worry would be that it is a scented litter. It may smell good to you in the store, but imagine having a sensitive nose and not being able to get away from the smell. You could use a little bit with your regular litter to add a bit of scent, but I would not use it at full strength.
Eating the litter is not really a good thing. I would discourage it as much as possible.

Rose petals are safe for rabbits but my concern is whether there are chemicals in there that would make it unsafe for rabbits, or if the rose petals have been treated in any way.

It's not something I personally would use for that reason. I always believe it had to be non scented litter for rabbits, so I would probably suggest you don't use it.

It does say it is "safe, natural, with real flowers" butyou may want to call the company though just to be sure they don't treat the petals in some way. My rabbits love roses from the garden.

Weather it's harmless or not, you don't want you rabbit to look at her litter box as a treat bowl, do you?

Using non-clumping clay cat litter is the best choice. Those fancy litters for rabbits, rodents, and ferrets are expensive(there was rabbit litter at petsmart - $10 for a bag that looked like it would only last a week!) and do not last as long clay cat litter.
Cat litter is bitter tasting, so your rabbit has no interrest in seeing it as food.

I've always heard that the dust in clay cat litters is very bad for a rabbit's respiratory system.

Clumping Clay litter is famous for the harmfull dust, but regular clay brands, esp. good ones like Fresh Step and Tidy Cats shouldn't cause any issues aslong as you pour the cat litter in the box away from the rabbits. You'll usually notice the dust when you pour it in the box. Allow the litter to settle in the box for about 10 minutes before returning it to the rabbit's cage.

I also heard the clumping makes it unsafe for them if they eat it. Plus, It's more expensive to buy cat litter then the wood pellets I buy. I don't think I can buy a 40 lbs bag of cat litter for $5 a piece. ;)

As for the question on the rose petals, I'm not sure. I probably wouldn't trust it but that's just me. Contacting the company might be your best bet! :)

Boz wrote:
Plus, It's more expensive to buy cat litter then the wood pellets I buy. I don't think I can buy a 40 lbs bag of cat litter for $5 a piece. ;)

Wow, I wish I could find wood pellets for that price! I pay almost $15 a bag! (Though to stay on point, I still would not use cat litter myself.)

My rabbits areused to having hay on top of wood pellets in their boxes and they like to munch while they do their business so I guess they already see their box as a treat bowl in a way. But everyone is differant so to each their own.

Becknutt wrote:
Boz wrote:
Plus, It's more expensive to buy cat litter then the wood pellets I buy. I don't think I can buy a 40 lbs bag of cat litter for $5 a piece. ;)

Wow, I wish I could find wood pellets for that price! I pay almost $15 a bag! (Though to stay on point, I still would not use cat litter myself.)

My rabbits areused to having hay on top of wood pellets in their boxes and they like to munch while they do their business so I guess they already see their box as a treat bowl in a way. But everyone is differant so to each their own.
Do you have a home depot by you? I get my wood pellets from there and they cost around 6$/40lbs. IF you don't have a home depot check any other local hardware store.

A 25 pound bag of Fresh Step cost about $10. 1 bag can last 2 weeks for 2 rabbits. Good deal!

What kind of wood pellets from home depot are yall talking about? One's I would imagine booty splinters?

I pay $6.49 for a 20 lb bag at the Tractor Supply. Wood pellets, that is. I have heard you can get 40 lb for that much, but my store doesn't carry those ones. Unless they're in the back and have to be asked for.

Still cheaper that clay cat litter. :)

Also, wouldn't the dust come up if the bunnies were digging in it?

"Also, wouldn't the dust come up if the bunnies were digging in it? "

No. That's why you need to let it settle. And like I mentioned before I reccomend good, "dust free" brands like Fresh Step and Tidy Cats. Once you pour the litter in the box, it's going to be the only time you'll notice the dust as it'll disapate quickly after letting it settle. My rabbits have been using fresh step(and tidy cats if the store runs out of it) all their life and none of them has suffered respitory issues from it.
One of my rabbits got a respitory infection once - it was caused by an allergic reaction to the dust of a type of new hay I got him one year. So far that's the only respitory infection we've dealt with.

Coniglio wrote:
A 25 pound bag of Fresh Step cost about $10. 1 bag can last 2 weeks for 2 rabbits. Good deal!

What kind of wood pellets from home depot are yall talking about? One's I would imagine booty splinters?
The pellets I use are made from compressed sawdust. They are made to be used in wood stoves. They are the best litter I have used. Super cheap and its the best at keeping odors under control. The only draw back is when the bag is first opened they give off a strong saw dust smell. But that goes away once the pellets air out a bit.

Coniglio wrote:
Weather it's harmless or not, you don't want you rabbit to look at her litter box as a treat bowl, do you?

Using non-clumping clay cat litter is the best choice. Those fancy litters for rabbits, rodents, and ferrets are expensive(there was rabbit litter at petsmart - $10 for a bag that looked like it would only last a week!) and do not last as long clay cat litter.
Cat litter is bitter tasting, so your rabbit has no interrest in seeing it as food.
one thing is for sure/if you use orchard/timothy grass(hay)-for poop boxes and hay bins your bun is going to be a lot healthier/and happy,,,you will reduce the number of unnecessary vet bills,..sincerely james waller:pray:

degrassi wrote:
Becknutt wrote:
Boz wrote:

Do you have a home depot by you? I get my wood pellets from there and they cost around 6$/40lbs. IF you don't have a home depot check any other local hardware store.
I get my wood pellets from Fleet Farm, a farming store. I used to get them from a local guy who sells rabbit supplies (food, hay, litter, etc.) but it was $6.50 a bag. I rather pay $5! :p

A 40 lbs bag lasts roughly a month for me with 4 rabbits. It could be longer or shorter depending on how many litter boxes I'm using. I was using 5 litter boxes with the Trio, but recently I got it down to one! :D So now I only clean 2 litter boxes.

Latest posts

Back