Litter Tray

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howard cordingley

Reaction score
Hi I wondered how often others clean the rabbits poo trays and what you use in yours. I use a base of puppy pads which absorb the wee and hay on top. I clean daily.

Hi, I use a layer of pine wood pellets and a little chopped hay on top, no puppy pads they won't absorb at all. I empty toilet box usually twice a week with one-two rabbits but it is because they are all indoors and I don't want any smell, some can stay clean up to one week, for instance some rabbits only pee into one corner and there's no need to change it all just remove wet corner and push some dry pellets into it, so this is how Fred's toilet looked after one week of use. This photo taken before he was neutered and bonded with Bernie, now they are happy together and they have a bit larger toilet and I refill it twice a week, I only rinse it once a week.

p1040754-jpg.43131

Hi, I use a layer of pine wood pellets and a little chopped hay on top, no puppy pads they won't absorb at all. I empty toilet box usually twice a week with one-two rabbits but it is because they are all indoors and I don't want any smell, some can stay clean up to one week, for instance some rabbits only pee into one corner and there's no need to change it all just remove wet corner and push some dry pellets into it, so this is how Fred's toilet looked after one week of use. This photo taken before he was neutered and bonded with Bernie, now they are happy together and they have a bit larger toilet and I refill it twice a week, I only rinse it once a week.

p1040754-jpg.43131
Thanks I clean my daily they are indoors but I will try your idea because it’s expensive changing puppy pads daily. Thanks

I use a 28-quart storage container for the litter box and line it with newspaper. Then I do a 1-inch layer of wood pellets on one side and fill the empty side of the box up with hay. I top the box off with hay every day and clean the box out every week.

I only use wood pelleted cat litter (non clumping), just one layer of it covering the whole base. I then top it with hay (daily) and change it once a week!

v How much litter use before adding hay

Attachments

• C2420B9F-330E-424F-BC83-2347F47834D7.jpeg
    C2420B9F-330E-424F-BC83-2347F47834D7.jpeg
    454.2 KB · Views: 5
I also use about 1/2 inch layer, no puppy pads needed really and also I would avoid them since some rabbits can chew on them (you never know when they decide to try) and can get a blockage from plastic.

@AVIE Yep, people who found him in a cardboard box left near shopping centre in first days of January 2019 named him Fred and I liked it, suits him well. He is a very friendly rabbit and very tidy, when he lived alone he cleaned his place himself, and after he was neutered and bonded with Bernie (who was very messy toilet digger before) he trained her so well she also uses toilet precisely now and no more digging. He's a very good character. I don't know his age but must be at least 3 years old now. When they brought him to me he looked very old, he won't move and was sitting in the darkest corner without food or drink for 8 hours, was lethargic, and he had sniffles honestly I thought he won't make it, but now he is a very happy little rabbit, just very very good rabbit, I don't think he was old maybe just scared.
More pics for you, apologise for the off top Howard!

p1030702-jpg.40014

fred-1-jpg.48258

Back to the topic, here's his other toilet which he also used precisely

p1040321-jpg.40742

I also use about 1/2 inch layer, no puppy pads needed really and also I would avoid them since some rabbits can chew on them (you never know when they decide to try) and can get a blockage from plastic.

@AVIE Yep, people who found him in a cardboard box left near shopping centre in first days of January 2019 named him Fred and I liked it, suits him well. He is a very friendly rabbit and very tidy, when he lived alone he cleaned his place himself, and after he was neutered and bonded with Bernie (who was very messy toilet digger before) he trained her so well she also uses toilet precisely now and no more digging. He's a very good character. I don't know his age but must be at least 3 years old now. When they brought him to me he looked very old, he won't move and was sitting in the darkest corner without food or drink for 8 hours, was lethargic, and he had sniffles honestly I thought he won't make it, but now he is a very happy little rabbit, just very very good rabbit, I don't think he was old maybe just scared.
More pics for you, apologise for the off top Howard!

p1030702-jpg.40014

fred-1-jpg.48258

Back to the topic, here's his other toilet which he also used precisely

p1040321-jpg.40742
What a great story they are both adorable bunnies clearly well cared for. Similar story to Jasper he was found in some woodland in December 2018 and he was highlighted on Facebook so I took him in. He’s very friendly don’t bite and runs around with our 3 Chuahas so must have come from a family before. His dental cet bills ha e cost me around £600 since having him but he’s worth it. Vets thinks he 10/11

Latest posts

Back