litter training !!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber H

Reaction score
Hello,

I posted a while ago about bonding my two male buns and I had a comment about a different set up of litter training that would be much more useful - Odor-free Home
Since then, I decided to take on this approach as even though for a while my buns had been using the corner toilets they had, I realised over time, they actually were doing more outside their toilet than inside. Therefore, I got a much larger tray and followed the steps on the site above with hay and wood pellets. However, I am still having the same problem, my 10 month old lop Gucci, is instead eating the wood pellets and continuing to wee outside the tray and poop too and Kenzo, my 6 month old nethie did urinate in his toilet before anyways, he has problems not doing it when he's outside his hutch around the house (we have not bonded the bunnies yet as we want to wait 6 weeks post-op for him. but he is put in a room where Gucci is not and so, no reason to urinate. He also urinates anywhere he is, whether that is in our house or a family members). My biggest concern is Gucci though, he is a big lop and so are what he produces haha, so in terms of this set up, what can I do for him to actually use the toilet as right now he continues to do it in his hutch everywhere (never outside the hutch though). Any help would be massively appreciated!!

Amber H

Hi, can you post some pictures of your current setup? I've just checked your thread you mentioned and noticed that you use wood shavings all over the floor in the cages and same in their toilet boxes. For toilet training you should have litter only n their toilets and keep floor clear everywhere else. I use wood pellets for toilet boxes they work great for absorbing urine and neutralising bad smell. When I train babies I use one big toilet box and one corner toilet both filled with wood pellets and a little hay on top, sometimes I add a little shavings or shredded straw under them so they'd stay in place when rabbits jumping in and out but just a little. Everywhere else there's no soft stuff on the floor, so you can see if they poo or pee anywhere outside their boxes I put it into their toilet and pee I soak paper towel with it and put under pellets in their toilet, I spray urine spots with white vinegar 5% so only their toilet smells like toilet, entire cage must be clean. It takes a few days to few weeks but they are usually quite smart and like using same spots at least for urinating. I have a few intact males they never pee outside their toilets, even in their boxes they only pee into one corner so their toilet is dry except of that corner.

Here I will repost your setup from your previous thread I mentioned, just wondering if you still have sawdust all over their floor

15a71624-824b-416f-879a-d40c553cbf5b-jpg.46038

Hi,

thanks for your response. So I now have sawdust over the floor but instead of the corner toilets, I have large litter boxes which was recommended on the thread and in these boxes I have wood pellets with hay (exactly the same as the thread so you know what I mean). So would it be best if I completely remove their sawdust and have their new litter boxes and corner toilet with wood pellets in and the floor being the bare hutch?

Thanks a lot,
Amber H

Back