Litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnyistwitch

Reaction score
Help please I have recently bought two indoor bunnies and they love to pee on the carpet! Any idea on how to potty train?

Well you should try to get a litter box and a litter substance. If they poo/urinate outside of it, add the poo into the litter box and they might realize that's where they should go, because it smells like a potty. Whenever you have free-range time, you should have fleece down or foam mats in case anything happens :)
I'd recommend a cat litter box so it's big enough for your rabbit(s).

Yes, as brownie says, have you got a litterbox? It should be big enough for the buns to lie down in. Put hay in it as buns eat while they poop!
Soak up and accidents with tissue and put the tissue in the litterbox.

If they're adults and unfixed it will be difficult, if they're old enough it's important to have then fixed. :)

Get a litter box and bun safe litter. A lot of people like using horse stall pellets as litter for their buns. You can use a cat litter box or plastic storage tubs make good litter boxes. You can either get one for under the bed storage that would be short or just cut part of one side short so the buns can easily hop in and out. I find a storage box works better when you have more than one bun so both can fir into it at the same time.

Place a hay rack above the litter box or hay in a pile in a corner of the litter box. Buns tend to potty while eating so this will help.

Any poo outside of the box pick up and place in the box. Any pee outside of it soak a piece of paper towel in the urine and place this in the litter box. Clean all surfaces that have been pottied on with a mix of water/vinegar. This gets rid of the smell so your buns will not potty there again based on smell.

Keep the buns free space limited until potty trained. Buns are considered potty trained when they pee only in a litter box. It is very rare to find a bun that won't drop at least a few poos outside of the litter box. Once the buns are litter trained you can gradually increase their free space.

Keep in mind that buns will mark their territory with both pee and poo. Hopefully you will get them litter trained and the peeing will stop. Also if your buns are young you will want to keep in mind having them spayed/neutered when they are old enough. This will help them maintain good litter habits as intact buns are more likely to want to continue to mark their territory.

I woud sternly say NO .Then put my bun into the litter if he used the bathroom any where but the litterbox .Its also good to repeat the work litter so they will know what your talking about .

I have a corner plastic litter box in Foo Foo's cage and he goes poo and pee in it. Sometimes he lets a poop go outside of his litter but never goes pee anywhere else but in his box. I use corncob litter which is safe for bunnies, it is in the bird section in the pet store. Great idea above about putting poops in the litter if they go anywhere else. Bunnies actually are very clean and like a specific place to go poop and pee, it may take time! Good Luck!:bunny5

By the way what litter/bedding is recommended? I've tried all sorts and I've been looking for the safest and best all around.I should probably make a separate post specifically for this but any suggestions?

Latest posts

Back