Litter training?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Balthazar kinda just poops EVERYWHERE. I thought rabbits choose a spot to use. How do I start training him to just use one spot?

When you first bring a rabbit home, even if they are litter trained, they will poop everywhere. It's a way of marking their territory. Litter training gets easier a week or two after you've brought your rabbit home, they usually ease up on pooping everywhere and pick just the one spot. Doesn't mean you can't start training now though. Put a litter box in a corner and anytime you find poop anywhere else, scoop it up and put it into the litter box. If you find he's peeing out of the box as well, wipe it up with a paper towel and put that in the box too. He will soon learn to associate the box with going to the toilet :)

How old is he? Is he neutered? I brought my boys home at age 7 weeks, and they weren't litter trained until they were 5 months old, about a month after they were neutered. They pooped everywhere firstly because they were new, then because they were still babies, then because they got all hormonal and wanted to spray and mark everywhere. They didn't pee in one spot until they were fixed and the hormones dissipated.

Provide a litter box that is big enough for the bun to fit into entirely. Hang a hay rack above the litter box so your bun has to be in the litter box to munch or simply pile hay in a corner of the litter box. Buns tend to potty while eating so this helps with litter training.

Clean up and place any poops outside of the litter box into the litter box. Any urine outside of the litter box, soak some up with the corner of a paper towel. Place this in the litter box. Clean up all surfaces that have been peed/pooped upon with a mix of white vinegar/water. The vinegar breaks down the smell completely so your bun will not potty there again at least due to smell.

A bunny is considered litter trained when it always pees in the litter box. It is very rare to find a bun that will not drop at least some poos outside of the litter box. As mentioned buns will mark their territory with poops. This should slow down after the bun feels his new home smells enough like him that it's no longer necessary. Some buns may improve after spay/neuter. My intact male slowed down at about 7 months and would then only drop a few.

Limit your buns space until it is litter trained. Once litter trained slowly increase it's space. For a larger space you may need to provide more than one litter box.

When something changes in a buns life such as moving, adding another pet to the home, etc the bun may again start to mark territory.

When you first bring a rabbit home, even if they are litter trained, they will poop everywhere. It's a way of marking their territory. Litter training gets easier a week or two after you've brought your rabbit home, they usually ease up on pooping everywhere and pick just the one spot. Doesn't mean you can't start training now though. Put a litter box in a corner and anytime you find poop anywhere else, scoop it up and put it into the litter box. If you find he's peeing out of the box as well, wipe it up with a paper towel and put that in the box too. He will soon learn to associate the box with going to the toilet :)

Hi! This is super helpful as I've been doing this now. I used to have a wire cage bottom so he would poop everywhere and pee on both back corners of his cage. Now that I've switched to a litter box, Loki is still pooping everywhere, and peeing sometimes in the litter box! He is about 1 years old now, but I just switched to the litter box 4 days ago. How long do you suppose it will take for this to catch on?

:litterempty:

Also, how often should I change out the litter box? :confused:

I change one litter box every day as it is a cat litter box and the bun is a Flemish giant so he's big compared to the size of litter box although occasionally I have skipped a day and it was fine.

My other litter box is a large plastic storage container for two smaller buns so I change that every other day.

How often you change it would depend on a number of factors including the type of litter you have. I would say change it often enough that you do not notice any smell and often enough that your bun is not sitting on damp litter.

My male bun I got at ten weeks of age I was able to litter train in three days. He was easy though.

The two girls I got at 1 1/2 years old I litter trained in two weeks.

Latest posts

Back