Litter training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theilian

Reaction score
I know this is old tired topic, but help me out.

Manny is fairly consistent with her urine. But pooping is an entirelydifferent matter. She goes around pooping all over the place. Moreover,she often leaves a mound right in front of litter tray as if saying, "Iknow what you want, but I just don't feel like it." That fiend! :X

This morning she did leave her poops inside the tray and as a reward Ilet her out and petted her. :)Right away she poops around thehouse. :?

Is there a sure way to make her use litter tray for pooping? Or is she too young for that? (maybe 3 months old)

theilian wrote:
Is there a sure way to make her use litter tray for pooping? Or is she too young for that? (maybe 3 months old)

It does appear young buns have a difficult time controlling themselvesand I think much of that has to do with being very busy "bunnying"around and not paying attention to the mundane matter of dropping poopsoutside their cages. Plus, it is a way of marking herterritory. As she gets older and more secure in her status inyour home, she may find it less necessary to assert her territorialclaims.

Buns will also poop if they're scared, nervous or uneasy, which, again,may be occurring when she is out of the cage. If you accessCarolyn's post regarding the topic you will see that she has had somemeasure of success with training Tucker to use the litter boxfor his poops by usinga water pistol. She does takepains, though, to point out that one must catch them in the act, if thewater pistol is to be effective. Squirting them afterwardprovides them with no connection to the undesirable behavior, thereforeproduces no results.

In truth, that behavior seem to reduce as time goes on and the bun feels more at home and becomes older.

Buck

My bunny who is 3 years.. uses her litter box inhome more than not i think. Always enough where the box must be cleaneddaily. I really dont notice her going potty on the floor. I didnt trainher though. She came from the animal shelter less than 6 months ago.

Cristy

Latest posts

Back