Litter Training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brickandwilma

Reaction score
Hi guys! Hoping someone can help me here. I adopted a female Netherlands dwarf rabbit to be bonded with my male lion head about a year ago. The bonding went well and she seems to have settled into her new home, however, I haven’t been able to stop her from peeing and pooping EVERYWHERE. I really have tried everything at this point and it’s getting to the stage where it’s just so stressful for my husband and I that we’ve spoken about finding her a better home. Obviously we don’t want to do that so here I am begging for help. I’ve spoken to vets, read online, even called the blue cross (where I adopted her from) 4 times and have had at length conversations about this. I’ve tried two separate litter trays for the rabbits, I’ve tried different litter, I’ve tried covered litter trays, uncovered litter trays, I’ve done all the scent training i.e picking up the poo and putting it in the litter tray so she can associate the smell, I spend my life cleaning floorboards and carpets so that her scent isn’t on them anymore, I’ve tried giving her a treat every time I see her in the litter tray, I’ve bought a dog crate to house the litter tray and food and water so that she feels like she has her own place as I thought maybe she was struggling being free roam (her old owner kept her in a cage so she probably doesn’t understand the concept of a litter tray) the dog crate worked for a while but she’s begun pooping everywhere again. I’m really at a loss and I need help please!!

Rabbits will never be 100% trained with poop, but your goal is to get the pee in the litter box. Poops may be territorial markings, so leave the poops for 24 hours, then put them in the tray. With pee, clean it up with a paper towel then put the paper towel in the litter box. Wipe the spot they have peed on with 50% water, 50% vinegar.

It sounds like you are trying everything, but maybe look this thread I created over to see if there's anything else you could try. Also make sure you're using a rectangle cat litter box as rabbit's barely ever use the triangle ones!

Is she spayed? Could I please have a picture of her current litter box setup?

It sounds like she is free roam, I would really recommend limiting space (using a dog exercise pen), starting slow (only once she starts making progress extend living area a little at a time), and removing all soft items in her cage (like blankets, beds, etc.) as rabbits enjoy going bathroom on these for some reason.

I would really recommend limiting space (using a dog exercise pen), starting slow (only once she starts making progress extend living area a little at a time), and removing all soft items in her cage (like blankets, beds, etc.)

Ditto this! They have to be limited initially until they get the potty training down pat. Only then should their space be slowly expanded.

Back