Litter training: Snix is peeing in the litterbox, but not pooing.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bamabunny

Reaction score
I know that they poo to mark sometimes, but snix (neutered male) is generally pretty neat, and will pee in his litterbox.

However, when it comes to pooing, he has selected a "poo zone", in which he will sit and do his thing. The Poo Zone is circled in red below:

snixpoo.jpg

The poos in his litterbox were scooped in from the poo zone. We have been scooping poos into the litterbox hoping he would catch on. Sometimes, he will wake up from a nap, hop over to the poo zone to take care of things, then go back to flop where he was and resume napping.

Is there anything else we can try?

Out of curiousity move the box out of the corner to cover the poo zone and see what happens; I've seen sheler buns do this too and don't quite know why

my suggestion too was going to be move the box to the spot where he is pooing and see if he changes his spot or starts using .

About a week after I got my bun, I put a grate in his "toilet" to keep him cleaner. He started peeing on the mat next to his toilet. When I took the grate out. His litter habits resumed. He still poos randomly around the area but most are in the box and he always pees in it.

So maybe if you remove the grate he might prefer it?

picture is worth a thousand words,.you have half the situation under control,..you might try a different strategy,..use one poop box with orchard/or/timothy grass,-only-..he can sit eat,and do his business,and don,t put grasses/hay on the floor,..place behind a wire screen inside of cage,he can then eat at his leisure,diet of 70% fiber,and about 4 oz. daily of quality-low fat pellets-for nutrition,anything else is a treat,.water in a bowl and bottle,with salt lick,and toys..sincerely james waller

Latest posts

Back