Litter training rabbit who pees on her comfy things

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Overall my bunny seems to be litter training well.

Last night I decided to fold up a blanket and put a carpet on top of it. My thought process is, she doesn't pee on her carpets, so I thought I could try to put a carpet on top pf her makeshift cozy bed. Plus, it is getting a bit cold at night so I wanted something warm for her.

Well old habits die hard lol. She peed on it! She has not peed on her carpets in a whole month, but put something semi fluffy down, she peed. Pre-spay and even after her spay she always peed on the on the doggy bed I had for her. She hasn't had one since..

Maybe it's because I used the cage blanket that she liked to pee on and she saw it???lol.

Any advice to break her of this? I removed the blanket and carpet and replaced with non peed one.

She had an accident on the couch once and hasnt gone back to the same spot since I cleaned it with vinegar and then carpet cleaner plus she got put in her litter tray and door shut lol. I am hoping she can be trained.

Thank you,

Brittany

I'm planning on getting a non-slip baby splat mat, or connect-a-mats, for in my bunnies pen! That way there won't be anything soft she will want to pee on. I've heard you might want to avoid putting anything super comfy in there for them initially while litter training.. Maybe give her a cardbox box hideaway just while training?

Nothing soft during litter training. If she likes to pee on soft things, don't let her have soft things. The only "soft" place should be her litter box. Do you have it topped with hay?

Once she has nothing else soft to pee upon, she should get more and more consistent in going in her (soft) litter box. I would keep her from soft things until she's been consistent for about a month. (Hopefully she did not just get inadvertently trained to go on carpet!)
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/litter-training.html

I'm planning on getting a non-slip baby splat mat, or connect-a-mats, for in my bunnies pen! That way there won't be anything soft she will want to pee on. I've heard you might want to avoid putting anything super comfy in there for them initially while litter training.. Maybe give her a cardbox box hideaway just while training?
Okay so I took the soft things out. It was a bad idea. Lol. I am hoping this hasn't yet her back.

Nothing soft during litter training. If she likes to pee on soft things, don't let her have soft things. The only "soft" place should be her litter box. Do you have it topped with hay?

Once she has nothing else soft to pee upon, she should get more and more consistent in going in her (soft) litter box. I would keep her from soft things until she's been consistent for about a month. (Hopefully she did not just get inadvertently trained to go on carpet!)
Okay. She actually did not pee on her clean carpet. I hope she doesn't get set back by it. She was doing very well. Down to very few poops outside the box a day and I got home from errands today and there were like 10.

Will keep soft things from her until she is consistent.

Thank you for the advice.

I forgot to reply that yes she gets fresh hay several times a day. And clean litter tray every other day. I think this girl might take longer to train.

In your experience how long do bunnies on average take to train? Before my soft oops, she was still pretty stubborn with those couple of poops that would end up out of littler tray.

Is she being consistent with urinating in the box? If so, she is considered trained. It is extremely rare for a rabbit to be 100% with their poos.

The hay -- I was referring to how her litter box is setup. Are you putting hay directly on top of the litter in side the litter box? (Or at least in a rack over her litter box that can only be accessed if she is inside her litter box.) That is what can encourage good potty habits.

She is consistent with peeing in litter tray besides that oops with the soft bed I made her. She just won't be able to have a soft bed I think?. She has been pee free for a month now that I think about it.

Okay that clears up the poop situation. I made assumptions about the poop lol.

Her hay is to the side of the litter tray.

This makes me feel better. I will just monitor her carpets for a day or two.

Should I be okay to expand her living area with xpen if she does okay and doesn have accident on carpet? I assumed she was going to do okay with the bed I made her but she did not.

Is she being consistent with urinating in the box? If so, she is considered trained. It is extremely rare for a rabbit to be 100% with their poos.

The hay -- I was referring to how her litter box is setup. Are you putting hay directly on top of the litter in side the litter box? (Or at least in a rack over her litter box that can only be accessed if she is inside her litter box.) That is what can encourage good potty habits.
She is consistent with peeing in litter tray besides that oops with the soft bed I made her. She just won't be able to have a soft bed I think?. She has been pee free for a month now that I think about it.

Okay that clears up the poop situation. I made assumptions about the poop lol.

Her hay is to the side of the litter tray.

This makes me feel better. I will just monitor her carpets for a day or two.

Should I be okay to expand her living area with xpen if she does okay and doesn have accident on carpet? I assumed she was going to do okay with the bed I made her but she did not.

Some bunnys can’t resist peeing on soft things, she may be one of them

Don’t expand her X-pen until she again consistently pees in the litter box,

When she consistently pees in the litter box slowly make the space larger.

Latest posts

Back