Litter Training Questions

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saudade

Reaction score
So I've looked around at most of the litter training FAQs and instructions and 90% all refer to the rabbit being spayed or neutered. Lucy is a pedigree dutch and I feel I will have robbed her of something if I spay or neuter her before she atleast has one litter (is that the right word?).
But in saying that I feel bad because I keep her in her cage for a good 15 hours a day, the other 9 hours are spent outside in a 2m x 2/3m run that's partially enclosed. I enjoy having her out at night with me, but that involves sitting down with her and making sure she doesn't stray off the tarp under her cage.
So far our attempts at getting her to be litter trained have failed. Originally she was allowed free run of our front verandah and picked a single corner to go in. When we put a tray there she hopped in it once and then jumped straight back out. She went around the litter box instead of in it. I tried everything including moving her droppings in to the cage and putting a little bit of the urine soaked bedding from her cage in to the tray. Nothing.

With my current arrangement she urinates in the four corners of her cage, but holds most of it till i put her out in the mornings. She doesn't poo in her cage much, though her coecal (sic?) pellets are left in there. Her bodily functions are mostly carried out outside in her run.
Basically my question is, is there any hope? Even when she's right near her cage she'll still attempt to go on the tarp, and if i let her have free roam of my room she'll shoot under my bed and go there. Will I have to wait until she is spayed and neutered before i have any hope of her being litter trained?

Sorry for the big mess of text.

It will help her to get spayed particularly if she is a yonger girl.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17
here are some links from the library; i don't know if you saw them.

It is your feelings , not hers, re. not having a litter ; if she was spayed she would not have the continual flow of hormones which in a pet is disruptive and in time could cause cancer.

There are way too many pure bred rabbits in this world and no need to bring more of them into the world.

Does Lucy have a litter box in her cage though? SOrry, from the description, I couldn't tell what she has inside the cage.

I think the health benefits of spaying a female are greater than breeding her. I know she's just absolutely gorgeous, but in my opinion having her longterm health is more important. I agree with Maureen, there are no shortages of purebred beauties, but there's only one Lucy for you.

The way i litter train mine, And no this is not cruel. Is i put them in a cage with there food and water bowl and wait for them to pick there corner... I pick up the droppings and put them in a litter box, same with a urine soaked paper towel. Then somtimes they catch on. If they continue to pick a different spot or go in there cage. I continue picking it up and putting it in the box for about a week i will do this. I will not let them out of there cage while training... If they continue going to the bathroom not in the box i stop cleaning it up. Eventually they will have no more room to go in the corners they will then do it in the litter box. Soon as i see them do it. I clean up the cage put it all in the litter box and reward them. And if you catch them about to urine then put them in there box, same with them pooping.. If they start to poop put them in there box. sorry if my english sucks... i hope this helps. Plus if you keep putting it in the litter box they will get the hint at thats where it gos.

Latest posts

Back