Litter Training Daisy

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daisyandoliver

Reaction score
I am attempting to litter train Daisy. HA. No the litter box is not a place to poo and pee. It is her new bed. She poos and pees right outside of it. The brat. :p

1giw0o.jpg

Oh boy.

Have you tried putting her hay and food pellet crock in there? It looks a little bit small to include all that, so maybe get a $3 kitten litter pan at Wal-mart or similar store and give that a try? Good luck! I know it's frustrating. My baby is getting it slowly, but, in general, I think most people say that baby bunnies are kind of messy and not great with the litter box initially.

I made an assumption she was a baby, but I also realize she could just be a tiny bunny!

She is 8 years old. :) Netherland Dwarf. She has never been litter trained I got her when she was 7 and she had always been on a wire bottom cage before so there was no need to litter train. I'm not really that worried I just thought if she could pick it up as easily as my mini rex did then it would be easier for cleaning her cage. If she likes it as a bed I'll leave it in there for her. I can just pick her poo out everyday like I usually do. :p

FYI, my two hated a corner box and I've read that before. Even when Agnes was a baby and really tiny, she refused to use it. Just something to consider if she still isn't going in it :)

I might just leave it in for a bed because she sleeps in it all the time now. :p Oliver didn't like the corner litter box I had to get him a rectangle cat one and he used it right away.

I see you have shredded paper outside her litter box. That often confuses bunnies as to where to potty. It would be better if the cage has no bedding and only the (larger) litter box has litter/bedding. She will be much more likely to use the box for her potty.

Oh. I just felt bad making her sleep on the plastic bottom of the cage when its cold out. I have other litter I use for oliver, do you think if I used that in a little box it would help any? Or I can just put her blanket back in to sleep on.

Hmmm. does she ever pee on her blanket? If she doesn't, then you could try that. But my thought would be to remove everything (no bedding, blankets) and just have the litterbox. Doesn't matter which litter you use in the box. Do this just while you try to get her trained. She'll be ok on the plastic flooring for a short while. It will probably discourage her from going there and will encourage her to go in the box.
It's ok if she just sits in the litter box too. The goal is just to get her used to using the litter box regularly.
Once you see consistent success, then you can put a blanket or petbed back in.

Alright. :) Thanks! She never peed on her blanket before but I've never had it in her cage usually on my bed or floor where she would sleep when she runs. Ill try it out and see.

Back