Litter training 2 rabbits at once

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amylynne61473

Reaction score
I have 2 lion head male bunnies from same litter 12 weeks old. I just had them neutered on Friday. I need advice on trying to litter train then while they are together in same cage. They have been hosed together since they were born. My other 2 bunnies were easier to train because they naturally peed always in same corner of their cage. The babies just pee all over not sure if it is because they are together and trying to cover each other's scent or just because they're young. My other 2 were older when I got them and in separate cages as it too about 3 months to bond them side by side before they could free roam together. I want the babies to litter train so they can be come free roam also after exposure time to my other pair.

Well you seem to be asking alot! The males that were just neutered can take several weeks for hormones to fully dissipate. They may or may not get along during this time or even after. (Baby 'bonds' don't count as true bonds.)
With hormones potentially still active, it may also be difficult right now to litter train them (even if they were single). Together, they may very well be more interested in trying to outmark each other with their pee.

If they do bond (time alone will tell) then it will be easier to litter train them. Training is done in the cage with a very roomy litter box - enough space in the litter box for both to lay down fully outstretched. Have the cage floor free of all loose bedding and have the litter box be the only place with litter/bedding. Top it with hay.

As for allowing these two males to run loose with another pair of rabbits (assuming the males will bond to begin with) -- that's quite an undertaking and may be very difficult. Regardless of the genders of the other pair (f/f, f/m, or m/m), it is very unlikely for 2 males to be agreeable to get along with another rabbit. Even less likely to get along with another 2 rabbits. It is more probable that trying to have two bonded pairs of rabbits run around at the same time will result in the breaking of one or both bonded pairs and potential fighting.

I doubt this is what you wanted to hear :(, but that is how I see it.

Latest posts

Back