Litter trained

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anything soft on the floor of the crate? Rabbits like to use the bathroom on soft places. Try placing poops from the crate in the litter box to show that's where it's supposed to go.

It also works to confine them to a small area or just the crate for a few days to get the hang of it. My rabbit had to pick the corner he wanted to use the bathroom in then I just moved his litter box there and we haven't had any problems since.

I wouldn't put hay in it. My girl won't potty anywhere near her food - including hay.
I agree with the above though, watch to see which corner your rabbit prefers, then stick their soiled bedding in a litterbox, and stick the litterbox in that corner. She'll get the idea.

I wouldn't put hay in it. My girl won't potty anywhere near her food - including hay.
QUOTE]

Well that's a new one! Most rabbits like to potty while they graze. That is why it is encouraged to put hay in or directly above their litter box.

@ allieeggert, is she urinating in the box? Is she doing any pottying in the litter box? and how do you have the litter box set up? -- oh and what is her age and neuter status?

QUOTE]

Well that's a new one! Most rabbits like to potty while they graze. That is why it is encouraged to put hay in or directly above their litter box.

@ allieeggert, is she urinating in the box? Is she doing any pottying in the litter box? and how do you have the litter box set up? -- oh and what is her age and neuter status?

really? Maybe she's spending too much time with our dog lol

She's about 2 1/2 months now and is not neutered and I've put her poop in her litter and moved her litter box around her crate in different places that she uses the restroom but then she just uses the restroom in another area in her cage.

Does she drink from a bowl or a bottle? If a bottle I would try hanging the bottle on top of the litter box. I use XL cat boxes because the store bought small animal ones that hang in the cage are too small

She's about 2 1/2 months now and is not neutered and I've put her poop in her litter and moved her litter box around her crate in different places that she uses the restroom but then she just uses the restroom in another area in her cage.

Rabbits this age can be harder to train. What do you have in her litter box? Is the rest of the cage floor solid surface?

Litter training is mostly about the urine. So you want to concentrate on that. Don't worry about the poos. That will come later. But at her age (approaching hormones) and with not yet being spayed, she is probably not going to be consistent. Spayed rabbits practically train themselves.

For now, she should have a loose litter (what are you using?) in the box that is topped with hay. The remainder of the cage floor should be clear of any bedding, blankets or pet beds. It should be solid surface. If she urinates out of the box, then wipe it up with a paper towel and place the paper towel in the litter box.

Latest posts

Back