Litter problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just copied this from our Rabbit Library.

Although wood chips may provide a natural means of insect and odor control, "natural" does not always mean safe. These same chemicals can also damage the respiratory tract, causing chronic respiratory disease, and asthma, and some studies have found an association between exposure to some wood dusts and oral cancers. The scientific literature on this topic is extremely clear, and unlike many studies of toxins, most of the scientific evidence regarding wood dust exposure has been conducted in humans rather than in laboratory animals since so many people work in the production of wood products. The summary of the biomedical literature that follows primarily describes the effect of chronic cedar- and pine-wood exposure on humans. Keep in mind that the effect on small mammals is likely to be even more pronounced, especially if they are in close, continual contact with wood chips. Humans also have a relatively poor sense of smell compared with other mammals. Thus, a nasal or respiratory irritant is much more likely to harm small mammals, which rely on smell for locating food and identifying and interacting with other animals.

Susan:)

Jess_sully wrote:
I'm allergic to almost any bunny-safe litter, so I use a clumping kitty litter several inches beneath a 1/2" x 1/2" wire grate. It works really well- contains the pee-smell and doesn't have any dust or odor to irritate my allergies.
Is it OK to do that if the buns can't get to it? I know you shouldn't use kitty litter for them... but if they can't get to it, is it OK then? Anyone?

I believe all wooden shavings are a no-no. I still have to use them for Toby 'cause he eats everything else :grumpy:

Personally, I worry about cat or clay or even diatomacious earth based litters because of the dust. Not only from the lingering dust in the air when a new layer is added to the pan, but bunnies step into the pan and will collect the dust on their paws, therefore eating it.

Of course if we want to be obsessed, newspapers are covered in printing chemicals that are anything but natural, and I'm sure it is possible some of these are on yesterdays news pellets which bunnies also end up touching and then liking their paws.

I would be worried about dust from the clumping litter getting in his nose even though it's below the grate. The grate does eliminate the possibility of them eating it, but it's still dicey. What if they get the grate off, eat some, and it clumps up in their intestines? That said, the shelter I volunteer at uses clumping cat litter under a HUGE pile of timothy hay in their litterboxes (but when I'm there and I change the litterboxes, I omit the cat litter, though!). I think the very best is pelleted YN or wood stove pellets, followed by straight hay or carefresh($$$$). Aspen or kiln-dried pine shavings are next best. I would put other wood shavings (cedar, non-kiln-dried pine), conrcob bedding, wheat bedding, and clumping cat litter on the "Do not use!!" list.

I second the wood stove pellet idea. They don't sell them in my area-it doesn't get cold enough here so no one has wood stoves (at least that's what the guy at Lowe's told me when I asked about them. But what I did find was Equine Pine. It's pelleted kiln dried pine (that takes all of the harmful oils out). It is absorbant and cheap, you can get 40lbs for $5.99.

I know that kiln dried shavings are the best, but I am not sure where to find them around here. When we recently bought a cage it came with half a bag, those people were from Olympia, my mom isn't going to drive that far just for shavings. So we get was is closet, at Del's is white shavings, sometime pine.

So we use white and always have. Our rabbits are perfectly fine, we are looking for kiln dried shavings that are closer but havne't found any yet. Soon we hope to be buying real rabbit litter and kiln dried shavings because they are also much softer.

Although I think wood stove pellets, kiln-dried pine, and many other wood-based litters are probably safer than what I currently use, I simply cannot use them. My housemate and I are both deathly allergic to basically every tree in Michigan... I have a list of over 20 that I'm allergic to.
Dr. Bennett, my rabbit-knowledgeable vet, was the one who recommended what I'm currently doing. He has two house rabbits of his own. It's only a thin layer (less than 1/2 inch) deep, dust free, and the grate is Flynn proof- he tried several times to get in when he wanted to eat the pine pellets, and failed. The only way he could currently touch the litter is if he ate through the very thick sides of the litterbox- and I would notice this before he got through, I think. He's never chewed on his litterbox.
Furthermore, he has no urge to get below the grate since switching litters. Since the litter isn't stirred up, dust can't be created- but I would know if there was dust because I am SEVERELY asthmatic and allergic, and sleep less than a foot from his cage- I would have an attack in the middle of the night.
I'm still trying to decide on a better option but so far haven't come up with any. My housemate has to agree as well- if she has any allergies she has the right to force me to rehome Flynn, and that is CERTAINLY not what I want to do.
Thanks for the concern, though! :)

as long as it doesn't dust and he doesn't eat it, cat litter isn't preferred but could be ok. that's why i haven't raised a stink at the local shelter about the cat litter myself. however, it seems that little Floof is a bit of a stinker who likes to eat things she's not supposed to (like chocolate) so i'd we worried that she'd try to get at the litter.

Jess_sully, are you also allergic to the paper-based litters like YN? i know allergies can be bad, i'm on year-round oral and nasal meds for them and have been since i was a little girl, but i wouldn't think you could be allergic to paper.

Wow, I didn't realize other buns ate their litter without a grate placed on top and that was the purpose of the grate. Gosh. *appreciates Max who never eats his litter except for that brief experiment with corn litter, hah ;)* The next one might though, so good to know!!

Well, with your situation is sounds like you really are trying to find the very best option for everyone. Having allergies and asthma like that is so dangerous, I COMPLETELY get why you use what you use.

tonyshuman wrote:
Jess_sully, are you also allergic to the paper-based litters like YN?  i know allergies can be bad, i'm on year-round oral and nasal meds for them and have been since i was a little girl, but i wouldn't think you could be allergic to paper.
I used YN briefly with bunnies in the past. It would be okay if used in a different room than where I sleep, but for some reason it tends to not contain odor and emitted a sort of urine-protein powder that sent me into coughing fits. Not to mention odor control was terrible. I spent a LOT of time in my room... and would rather not have people walk into my room, wrinkle their noses and say, "what is that SMELL?" or... "it smells funny in here!". The Equisicat pine had a very strange smell... my boyfriend couldn't stand it. He has a sensitive nose and won't go in my room if it doesn't meet his smell test :p
I think I'll try it again though, as that was awhile ago. It's basically the only thing left to try!

I don't like YN either, because I found pieces of plastic and other items within the pellets. Someone did an article on the matter, you wouldn't believe how many things they found in their YN bag! :grumpy:

I'm using Feline Pine right now. It is advertised as a cat litter, but it's made from Kiln-dried pine. Which is safe. So far it's working beautifully! Great odor control and it absorbs wonderfully.

I did have to sprinkle a fresh thin layer of YN over the pee areas every other day or so for the smell to be absorbed. If I don't, it will smell after 3 days or so. Once I take 1 1/2 cups or so and sprinkle ontop of pee spots and poos every other day, I don't ever detect stinky smells. None of my visiters have commented on it since I've used this system.

There is one thing I really don't like about YN and that is it's so dark! If my bunny had a issue where I need to check his pee or poo count, YN makes pee color chekcing impossible.

SOOOSKA wrote:
You should try Wood Stove Pellets and then cover them with a plastic mesh. Do you have a Rona near you? You can get 40 pounds for about $4.60. You can get the plastic mesh at WallyMart in the arts andcraft department.

Susan:)

Ooh, so you know what they are called at Rona??

Back