Litter problem

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cove

Reaction score
OK I've been using Yesterday's News as litter but personally I hate it! Maybe I've been spoiled with the clumping kitty litter scoopability either way it drives me bonkers. So I've been planning on using something different for awhile now once the litter was gone. Unfortunately I've run out sooner then I thought and won't have any money until the weekend, partner isn't willing to to pay for it either.

I do have clumping and not clumping kitty litter in the house. Would it be OK to use that until the weekend? I know your not supposed to but I'm low on options. The only other options in the house are the shavings and two bales of straw. Her litter needs to be cleaned out as she tipped her wter dish over in it and it looks nasty and gross that combined with me forgetting to clean her litter box yesterday... ick.

Cat litter is not recommended at all. This could be dangerous for your bunny :)

Maybe you could use some newspaper and put some hay over it until you can get more? :)I'm curious as to why you hate the Yesterdays News though...

I heard unscented cat litter was OK but not recommended.

We don't have any newspaper as we don't get it nor flyers...

I personally don't like it for several reasons a few of them being I don't find it very absorbent, and it just doesn't seem to be very litter like adn do what clay litters do and what litter should do. It's hard to scoop out the bad and keep the good, and I find it doesn't hold the smell in very good.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you're using yesterday's news as the litter to cover the whole floor plus litterbox?

If so, try putting the yesterday's news in litterbox, and newspaper on floor in rest of house, then overlay with old towel.

Yesterday's news has been great for me, My guys pee in one corner of the box, and it turns mushy in that corner. I sift out the yesterday's new with a cat scoop big enough to sort poos from litter. Makes it cheaper.

It isn't supposed to coat the way that cat litter does tho, if that was your expectation. I see it as a stinky pee catcher, as poops don't smell (at least my bun's don't)

YN is only in her litter box the rest of the cage is either covered in shavings or straw.

I dunno, I just don't like it though I know plenty of people who adore it and wouldn't think of using anything else. I also like the corn based litter "Worlds Best Cat Litter" and the wheat litter "Swheat Scoop" not sure if they are OK for rabbits....

I figured as much...

I'm not sure, but I'd rather not keep using YN, if I have to fine but I'd prefer not to.

What kind of cat litter is it? Some non-clumping ones are fine. Clay based is dangerous, corn based is dangerous too, but wood-based cat litter pellets are safe, I use those, I find them good and absorbing smell and liquid, and not messy. :)

It's a clap based litter, Simplicy Plus. The non clumping one is clay based as well I guess, I use that for traction in the winter but had some left over.

What are some good litters to use? The store I use for all my animal needs has a couple different kinds of wood based litter, the only name I can remember though is called Feline Pine.

You should try Wood Stove Pellets and then cover them with a plastic mesh. Do you have a Rona near you? You can get 40 pounds for about $4.60. You can get the plastic mesh at WallyMart in the arts andcraft department.

Susan:)

I think there is a Rona Home and Garden store up the road... not positive on that though. I'll have to check that out this weekend and the mesh... how would I attach that to her litter box/tray? I will be getting her a new one soon that has the mesh already attached to it so she doesn't sit or sleep on her litter. Should do a price check on that too...

Thanks for the link Michaela!

Hi :)

Yesterdays News is the only litter I use for my bunny. i've experimented with many to see which one is better with absorbing smells which is basically all I care about and no dust.

What I do to make this litter easier for me is I go to the Dollar Store and buy cheap litter pan liners (like little plastic bags). I have a litter box that comes with a clip on surround to extend it's depth so my bun won't kick litter out, but this clip on part clips down the visible areas of the bag so Max won't mess with it. Every 4+ days, I remove the whole bag and toss it. Then replace with a fresh bag.

Yesterday's News is the absolute BEST litter I've ever found for odor control. It really makes the odor unnoticeable. Even the clumping cat litter (which I had to use for a week in an emergency) didn't mask the odor much at all. It's also the cheapest per pound.

I'd try getting a litter pan with the attachable surround (got mine at petco) and try litter pan liners. If you don't have the attachable surround, your bunny might chew up the bag. Mine did during the first few weeks, but now he doesn't even notice it anymore.

This is what my litter pan for Max looks like: best one I've found that will also fit into his cage. But mine doesn't have the self-cleaning part, it's just a basic pan bottom.

http://www.petco.com/product/103817/Lift-n-Sift-Cat-Litter-Pan.aspx

The grain-based litters are not safe for rabbits because they will eat them. And grain is not good for them to eat.

What is it you really dislike about yesterday's news brand litter? I assume you mean the brand and not literally using your newspapers from yesterday :p :).

Hope this helps!

If odor is the problem, Petco sells a natural safe for bunnies deoderizing liquid. I used to use it before I got YN brand litter because the smell would never be masked enough. 1 squirt in their full bowl of water is all you need. Works wonders and contains natural ingredients. Wood pellets would be worth a shot, just make sure they are not pine.

I don't personally use shavings in my bunny's cage. They just make a giant mess. Max's cage bottom is covered in a cardboard grate cover and then his fuzzy blankie on top.

just my 2 :)

Hi I cut the mesh to fit into the litter pan. Then clean the poos out a couple of times a day and the urine soaked litter once a day. I bought a big scoop from the dollar store it works well. I just spray a little vinegar on the mesh and run it under hot water to clean them.

Here's a couple of pictures of the mesh from Wallymart.

DSC02845.jpg

DSC03900.jpg

I bought their litter pans from Wallymart, they are the big wash basins about $4.00, much cheaper than buying actual litter boxes from pet stores.

I'm wondering what the point of putting mesh in the bottom of the litter pan is? Traction? :)

Sorry! I spaced your last request. It's really early here.

Good substitutions for litter is shredded paper, shredded newpapers or magazines, shredded paper bags from the grocery. Or you can just tear a bunch up into tiny pieces. Put a good layer on the bottom and it should soak up most of the wet.

My sister and I have always used cat litter, nothing wrong with it. It shouldn't be powdery or scented, but scented is a good thing because then the smell isn't as strong.

We are actually trying to find actual rabbit litter, we got some great stuff with a cage but we used it up and so we are looking for it again. We are just using shavings right now so if you have any white shavings then that would be ok.

BSAR any white shavings are not good. Pine and Cedar shavings are very bad for rabbits respiratory system. Aspen shavings are good but are expensive.

I'm allergic to almost any bunny-safe litter, so I use a clumping kitty litter several inches beneath a 1/2" x 1/2" wire grate. It works really well- contains the pee-smell and doesn't have any dust or odor to irritate my allergies. Before that, I was using Equisicat Pine in the same way, although he ate it before I got the grate. After the grate it was fine, I was allergic to it so had to stop using it.
The rest of Flynn's cage is lined with fleece and/or towels, but this doesn't work for everyone. Flynn has immaculate litterbox habits so it's a perfect situation for me :)

SOOOSKA wrote:
BSAR any white shavings are not good. Pine and Cedar shavings are very bad for rabbits respiratory system. Aspen shavings are good but are expensive.

White shavings are actually the best for rabbits. And pine are ok for them. Cedar are the ones that are the worst.

Latest posts

Back