Litter Pans

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Username

Reaction score
Well, I've figured out that I'll simply keep the solid-bottomed cage bedding free aside from maybe a blanket for snuggling in and to soak up the pee so they don't swim in it at night. ;p My new question would be, how do I train a bunny to use the litter pan? I don't have a real litter pan, I'm using a small box right now which they want to chew on.. and it was to be expected. They are also eating the litter so I plan to switch to a litter which isn't some sort of super odor control, because this may be why they're eating it.. the odd little green pieces.

I've read that it's a good idea to put some hay or food where their litter pan is because they potty most when they're eating.. is it okay if I just put my little pellets in with the litter? I gave them bermuda grass lastnight and when I got up thismorning their food bowl was upside down.. when I picked it up to clean out their cage there was a giant mound of moist brown stuff, it looked like Malt-O-Meal Chocolate stuff. :yuckI immediately cleaned the hay out and washed the cage thoroughly with antibacterial soaps soI wont be giving them that again. Basically I wanna know if I can put some pellets straight in and directly on top of the litter so when they eat they're pooing in there and maybe they'll get the idea? ... or maybe I'll get some new ideas here?

:pullhair:

Hi username, personally I wouldn't put their pellets straight in their litter box. They may get soiled too easily, or lost in the litter.
Just put a small bowl of pellets in their area, and either put their hay straight in their litter box, or hang a hay rack over it. You can also put a pile of hay beside the box if you don't have a hay rack to hang.
Can I ask, how big is their cage? In the picture in one of your other threads, your bunny looks like a Californian. They can grow quite big, so you must be sure to provide a big enough cage for them.
Have you thought of building them a NIC cage, or just housing them in a pen, so they have enough run space?

Latest posts

Back