litter issues

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessmc03

Reaction score
Hi all! I need some help again!My baby (almost 1 year) Gabby has been litter box trained since i took her home from the humane society. She has not been spayedyet, but her appointment is coming up soon. Her latest habit though, is to move her litter box and then pee where it was! is she trying to tell me something?! she is ruining my rug! thanks for the input! ~Jess

Is there any way you could secure the litter box in place? Glue a heavy tile to the bottom to make it difficult to move?

You could also try a larger litter box, maybe she's feeling cramped and likes the freedom of no box.

--Dawn

Heidi has grown so much tat she will poo in the box and then step out to pee in the corner of her cage - I think she doesn't like it being so close where she goes - NIC time soon!

Hi there,

Spaying will definitely help. My Evie used to pee anywhere just before she was ready to be spayed. And as soon as she was she was straight back using her litter tray.

I think you just need to keep the white vinegar on hand until she is done! :biggrin2:

Just another point to note:

I find that rabbits associate litter training with a spot, not necessarily the box. If the box is moved, they will go back to the same spot to potty and not look for the box.

I've had buns pee in the potty corner when I was cleaning litter boxes.

I would say the best way to prevent this type of accident from happening would be to get her to stop moving the litter box. Fasten it in place or try a different box.

Of course spaying will help with litter box training, but for this instance I don't think her being upspayed is the root cause. I would still highly recommend spaying for health and other reasons.

--Dawn

Heidi doesn't seem to like her litterbox! She goes to one corner - then I put the box there, and she goes to the other corner. :foreheadsmack:

as an update.... i used to empty her litter box in the am. reading bo bunny's response gave me the idea of emptying it at night so she has a completely empty box. this worked! she doesn't move it and goes right into it. i think it was getting full by morning time and she would move it because she was uncomfortable with how full it was. then she would go where she knew she was supposed to. thanks for helping me understand her bunny speak!! you guys are the best! ~jess

ps. bo bunny- when i first started with gabby, i had litter boxes in EVERY corner. i even had some in the middle of the room. basically she had more of a chance of hitting one then not. maybe this will help?

Heidi is in a cage at night.I think she's just needing a bigger one so she can pee in one corner, poos in the other (square litterboxes are good for that reason!) That's my plan for this weekend! Rebuild for her.

Bo and Clover are just brats and being territorial LOL! He's VERY good about his box in the cage - so is clover.

Crazy bunnies! Glad the post helped! They are very particular about how and where they potty! YAY! Even if it was a thought brought on by my jabber! Isn't it funny how one can say something and cause something else to click for us?

Now, I'm thinking Heidi may have this same issue! LOL!

Latest posts

Back