Litter/hay Box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHarris281

Reaction score
After more research and insperation from the The Stormhaven Litter System. I have come up with this alternative Litter Box / Hay feeder.

First go to your Local petstore and get a Cat Siffting litter Box like this one

LitterBox2.jpg

It was about 19.99 at Petsmart

Then go to your hardware store and get a Piece os 1x1 and hut it into 4 pieces to fit inside the litter box like this. ( i got mine at Home Depot for $0.88 a foot and can use the extra for Bracing in your NIC cage)

LitterBox3.jpg

Place them inside the Solid section of one of the litter boxes.as shown

LitterBox4.jpg

Get some bunny safe litter I used Yesterdays News was only $9.99 for a 30lb. bag. Fill the Litter box with the litter inside the wood spacers but so not fill it past them level with the wood is good to that the grate will sit evenly. like this.

LitterBox5.jpg

When you place the top tray on it should look like this.

LitterBox1.jpg

Now its time to install the hay tray take the top tray of the litter pan and cut two holes in it so that you can secure they basket to the tray like this I used a sharp razor knife. be sure to do this on the narrow end.

LitterBox7.jpg

take youHay traythat you have decided to use and place it in the littertray and zip tie it to the side. As shown

LitterBox8.jpg

now place it on top of the other tray with the litter in it.

LitterBox9.jpg

You now have a litterbox/hay feeder that is easy on there feet and low cost to make total priace of about $35.00 and the good part is you will ahve an extra bottom tray to change out during cleanings so the is no making your bunny have to wait to go potty. :)

LitterBox6.jpg
LitterBox10.jpg

Simon is already happily using his new Litter Box.

Special thanks to Danielle a.k.a. Runestonezfor inventing the Stormhaven Litter System which gave me the insperation to buld this one.

i like the idea,,except in my situation i have to stick with simplicity/less labor intensive.//.i use the blue box with timothy hay-change as needed.//.let me know if after a six months if you still like it.??..sincerely james waller

Very nice. I already have a Stormhaven litter set-up but if it doesn't weather well (no pun intended) I will totally use your idea.

Wow, that's a great litter pan. We have just been using those plastic resting platforms you can get for $2 from Tractor Supply and shows over the litter and letting the litter fall through that, but this is far superior. Thanks for the instructions. Simon is one lucky bunny!

And he looks so content in his NIC cage; it's just great to see.

Ok I'm really slow!:p Love this and the The Stormhaven Litter System. I was confused on where the litter bedding went until I saw the actually picture! Trying to convince hubby to do it now. He's so afraid of the buns getting their foot caught in the grate as that is how Baci supposedly broke his foot from the previous owner.

Latest posts

Back