Litter disposal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use Aspen bedding and then a small layer of hay on top (and a big eating pile on one side along with a hay manger full of hay over the litter box). Being all biodegradable, I take it to the edge of my jungle property in the way, way back and just dump it.

Since I use plain wood pellets (for the two indoor rabbits, the outdoor rabbits have drop pans) that and their wasted forage and hay go on the compost pile. When I think it's too much wood realtive to the grass stuff to make good compost I dump the wood litter in my little 500m² forest.

Funny enough, just last week I did this barefoot (walking to the back edge of my property to dump the box) and stepped on a bumblebee and got stung. My $50 fair show rabbit bought on a whim at the behest of my kids has turned into $600 of supplies and an $800 vet bill and a bee sting in just a month. I love little $1,500 Freya to death though LOL!

Funny enough, just last week I did this barefoot (walking to the back edge of my property to dump the box) and stepped on a bumblebee and got stung. My $50 fair show rabbit bought on a whim at the behest of my kids has turned into $600 of supplies and an $800 vet bill and a bee sting in just a month. I love little $1,500 Freya to death though LOL!

Expensive little furballs aren't they! Good thing they're so cute 🥰

My wood pellet litter goes right into the compost pile.

Expensive little furballs aren't they! Good thing they're so cute 🥰

My wood pellet litter goes right into the compost pile.
They are. Fortunately we were prepared for it as animal people and with financial stability. Being an animal person and a researcher, I've been able to learn a lot quickly and give her the best life that we can and probably the best life she would have gotten.

This is kind of tough. On the one hand a lot of rabbits need homes, on the other hand I've learned that most people aren't in a position to have a rabbit. They need a lot of space, they cost more than one would think, and they need more attention and care than people are led to believe. So I would love bunnies to get homes, but I would also tell most people that getting a rabbit is a bad idea even though it was a good thing for us.

They are. Fortunately we were prepared for it as animal people and with financial stability. Being an animal person and a researcher, I've been able to learn a lot quickly and give her the best life that we can and probably the best life she would have gotten.

This is kind of tough. On the one hand a lot of rabbits need homes, on the other hand I've learned that most people aren't in a position to have a rabbit. They need a lot of space, they cost more than one would think, and they need more attention and care than people are led to believe. So I would love bunnies to get homes, but I would also tell most people that getting a rabbit is a bad idea even though it was a good thing for us.

I do the same thing. When people see my cute bunnies and talk about thinking about getting one, I always tell them they're very expensive and complicated pets to have. Great pets and interesting(to me at least), but definitely expensive and complicated.

Agreed. I originally wanted 2 or 3 bunnies, but after getting the one I said this is a lot of work and a little pricey. Not only that I love my little Jack so much I didn't want anytime to be taken away from him. I also have 3 cats and 3 dogs. I read this forum everyday and always learn something new.

What do you do to dispose of your rabbit litter?

Um... put it in a garbage bag that goes out with the weekly trash.

I could probably, like, bury it or burn it or something, but that seems like too much work, and my neighbors would probably start wondering what's going on :D

(You composters must be out in the country or something. I've never seen that before.)

Latest posts

Back