Litter Brand Help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlee

Reaction score
I know this probably has been asked a million times but I'm on the hunt for a new litter - I was using Yesterday's news but since the packaging changed the original brand has an strong odor - like oil. I did report it to Purina.

Has anyone tried Critter Country Litter? Did you rabbit eat it since it's made from a grass?

Any suggestions for litters? If so where did you purchase it. I only have a Petco near me and they have no choices in a rabbit litter. I can't use Carefresh because it sticks to my rabbit's fur.

Thanks!! :)

Feline Pine can be purchased at Petco, usually, and it's fine because the pine sawdust used to make it is kiln dried to remove the aromatic oils. I use wood stove pellets, which are also used in horse stalls, for mine. They're either hardwood or kiln dried pine, and can be found at some pet stores, some hardware stores, and some farm supply stores. Tractor Supply usually has it.

Wood pellets would be safe if a little is eaten. Like any litter, it should not be eating in large amounts. If your rabbit does like to eat litter, a screen over top of the litter is a good idea.

I also recommend the horse stall pellets. They are great for odor control and really inexpensive. I use an eggcrate grate over mine.

Thanks for the information everyone. I can't do a screen over the litter box. But I know what ever I pick he will nibble on it.
I still just can't decide what litter to use. :(

Thanks again all ;)

I use to use Yesterdays News and just a couple weeks ago switched to horse pellets. It is so much cheaper. I bought the biggest bag of Yesterdays News. I think it was 30 lbs for $16-$20. I got a 40 lb bag of horse pellets for $6! It also absorbs odor just as well as Yesterdays News. I just went to a local feed store to get the horse pellets. I am so happy I switched. It is going to save me lots of money.

Loving the cheap and safe wood stove/horse pellets over here! I've tried just about every litter out there, and this one is tops for both safety and cost :)

I LOVE wood stove pellets :D

Would some one pleasesend me picture of the bag/link of wood stove/ horse pellets - I can't find them online. I know there is a pine horse pellet and I'm sure that's a big no,no.

Carlee wrote:
It's a PINE pellet right? I thought no pine pellets for rabbits?

I'm confused :?
Pine is a no no but because these Pine pellets have been Kiln dried the oils have been removed and are safe for the rabbits.

I also would recommend any Horse Stall Pellets they are so much cheaper.

I too use feline pine.

It is a pine pellet, but it's okay because it has been kiln dried which gets rid of the aromatic oils.

You guys are soooo GREAT!!! Thanks to everyone for responding. I learn so much!!

I went to Atwoods this morning and picked up a bag of Equine Fresh. I put a thin layer of the pellets plus a layer of shedded newspaper in Jude'slitter pan. Judesniffed it a couple of times before jumping in. The pellets do expand quickly into what looks like sawdust. Hopefully, it won't stick to his feet. I completely change his litter pan 3 times a day so hopefully the wet sawdust won't become a problem. :pray:

Carlee wrote:
You guys are soooo GREAT!!! Thanks to everyone for responding. I learn so much!!

I went to Atwoods this morning and picked up a bag of Equine Fresh. I put a thin layer of the pellets plus a layer of shedded newspaper in Jude'slitter pan. Judesniffed it a couple of times before jumping in. The pellets do expand quickly into what looks like sawdust. Hopefully, it won't stick to his feet. I completely change his litter pan 3 times a day so hopefully the wet sawdust won't become a problem. :pray:
I use a grate over my horse stall pellets because the buns don't really seem to like standing in them. I also mix up the used areas with the unused areas between litter box changes to make it last longer.

I put a layer of hay down on top of the wood pellets, and that's what my guys stand on.

I have shedded newspaper on top of thepellets for Jude to stand on. But the smell isstill to much I think. I'm going to check out Critter Country Litter this next week.

Latest posts

Back