litter box

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keslersmommy

Reaction score
One more question. so itsabout a month and a half maybe two since we adopted Kesler and I can'tget him to only go to the bathroom in his litter box. He uses thelitter box for number 1 ( most of the time) but number 2 is a wholedifferent story. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am gettingsomewhat angry !

First question. How old is he?

Second question. Is he neutered?

Both of those are very important. It can be quite difficult to littertrain an intact rabbit. They have needs to mark thier territory, doingso with poos.

Third question. Are you putting his food and hayinside the litter box?

Rabbits tend to use the potty while eating. If thier food and hay is in the box, then they will get the idea faster.

Here is a handy link that you might find helpful:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=12213&forum_id=17

Hi and Welcome to RO.

I just moved this thread to the main RO forum so others will see it and answer it.

From the information in your introduction thread and this one, itsounds like your bun is younger and possibly not neutered.You said you got him from the Humane Society, is there any way youcould call them and see if he was neutered before you adopted him?

Many shelters and rescues will spay/neuter before adopting out rabbits but some don't.

If he hasn't been neutered, then I would highly recommend getting it done by a rabbit savvy vet.

It will help with the spraying (my guy stopped about two weeks after neutering) and with the litter box manners.

Other steps you can take in the mean while is to clean up any messeswith vinegar water (about 50/50 mix). I keep a spray bottlefilled with it, and just mist down the cage then wipe up.

Pick up the poops and put them in the litter box. He'sleaving them everywhere because he's trying to mark his territory, buthe should get the idea after a while.

--Dawn

Hi! Yes, Keslers hay is in hislitter box but not his food. Will it help putting the food in it? No,he was to young to be fixed when I got him and I am waiting until Juneto fix him because they told me I had to wait until his testiclesdropped which I can't even tell. I love my little guy to death and ICan't wait until he is littered trained to allow him more play time inthe house with me.

I was told that it is easier to litter box trainan older rabbit than a baby rabbit. Baby rabbits are supposablestubborn and older ones are easier to train. Kepp practicing with him.I was even told to wait until Kesler was older to try. So don't giv uphope! good luck!:bunnydance:
Chassidy

I hate to worry you but my girl is not littertrained. When I first got her she used it but than all of a suddenstopped and even now, after her spay, she still won't use it. I havetried cleaning it up with paper towel and putting that in the littlebox, spraying the spot with vinigar and water... I have even triedwashing her flooring in vinigar and she still will not use a box. Wehave gone through three boxes, different brands of litter, making thecage small so that she can really only be in her litter boxes and stillnothing. I have given up and am willing to now accept that she justdoes not want to use one. I hope you have better luck but an unlittertrained bunny is not the end of the world. They are still the samecute, fun, stupid creatures that we all love.

Latest posts

Back