Litter box training

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lacy3/18

Reaction score
Hello, I am a new bunny owner. I was reading online litter training them. This is something I would love to accomplish so that I can allow her to be free reign. However, when I first got her, i had issues of her not leaving the litter box to explore the rest of the cage. Now, she is comfortable exploring the rest of the cage but only poops and pees OUTSIDE of the litter box. How you teach her to do it in the box?
I tried putting some of the old bedding in the litter box while the rest of the cage is clean to teach her (which is what was suggested online) but she doesn't seem to get it.

Do you use some bedding in the cage, if you do. Take it all away and just leave the litter box with bedding. Often it will be easier to differentiate between litter box and cage.

Have the hay in the litter box and just clean where she’s not supposed to pee, if you catch her lifting up the tail showing she’s going to pee. Move her to the litter box and give her a reward when she goes.

Use vinegar to clean where she pee, you need to hide the smell or she will keep on going on the same place . Spaying will also help a rabbit to better be litter trained.

How long have you had the cage floor clear of loose bedding and had the litter box set up with litter and hay?

Also, could you post a photo of this new arrangement?

In addition to blue eyes questions, what type of litter do you have in the litter box? The litter being used can sometimes be the problem.

How long have you had the cage floor clear of loose bedding and had the litter box set up with litter and hay?

Also, could you post a photo of this new arrangement?

I've had it this way for a couple days. She seems to be anywhere but the box. Yes, i will post when the picture when I get back to take one!

In addition to blue eyes questions, what type of litter do you have in the litter box? The litter being used can sometimes be the problem.

The litter is just an absorbent white material that they suggested at the pet store. I wasn't sure what would be best to use.

Latest posts

Back