Litter Box Training Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SweetSassy

Reaction score
My Male baby bun is approx 12 weeks old and the Female is approx 10 wks old. The female-Daisy is pretty much fully litter boxed trained.The male- Rascal pees in the litter box all the time but doesn't poo all the time in the box. Is this a male thing? Or is he just taking longer? Or marking his territory?

I'm wanting to let them through out the house but I don't want him marking the house up if that's what he's doing with his poo's. I have carpet. Should I wait til he's neutered? I'm not worried aboutDaisy really, to start letting her out slowly.

Any Suggestions or Advise would be appreciated. Thanks, :)

April

we are at their mercy/rr.rr/.i have multiple poop boxes-some areas,to encourage where they should go,/one reason is that i am a poop-ologist/,we are their first line of defense therefore,habits,body language,environment are important.,,rabbits are prey animals and would rather die than show weakness,thus many do,..sincerely james waller

with my male rabbit, he was easy to litter train. are they boxed in the same caged? try separating him into hi own cage if they are together and put toys, food, water bottles, etc in 3 of the corners so that he cannot poo in them. keep litter in the side that he naturally chooses to go in. dont keep it sparkly clean keep 10 or 15 poo in the litter so that he can smell that his poo is there. just give him time and he will associate the poos in there with the poos he needs to put there. make sure if you let him out that you clean up any poos left behind. poo doesn't generally stain carpet because its easily picked up but it still leaves behind a smell. they will mark with their urine. good luck. make sure to keep the other corners full with things if he decides to moke the stuff put it back. he'll get the picture. using this method my bun was trained in less than a month. good luck!

Their seperated til they get spayed and neutered.They've been seperated over a week or sonow. He doesn't poo in the corners. Lol. He poo's right in the middle of his cage, just where ever. Maybe it's just taking him longer. He is male. Lol. Just kidd'n. :)

Thanks for theinfo.... April

Every rabbit is different, he may just have a stubborn streak in him. ;) Don't give up!

-----

Annie :bunny19

I second Mclovinsmommy...

Young buns take a little while to master the litterbox; keep poops and pee there always, and he'll get the idea.

Poops on the carpet are OK (won't stain), but if you're very worried about possible piddles, they can always play on an old blanket ;)

Poops are also territorial markings; should be a lot better post-neuter/spay!

Ok... Thanks everyone! :)

The female who is younger is fully trained, and with the male I wasn't sure if it was just marking his territory or what. So hopefully it will get better after his neuter....April

Hi, our male rabbit now 3 month old is the same. When we take him out of his cage he is doing his business all over the house. And in a huge quantity so I'm running after him and picking up his droppings. I'm so desperate!!! He finishes every time in his cage which is shame because otherwise he is very nice cuddly rabbit. Now I'm trying to put all his droppings in his litter box (not throwing away) and hope he will improve after being neutered (in 3weeks time). Any suggestions welcome :rollseyes

What I would think is that the babies often get it if their mum has been litter trained. Then, when they hit adolescence it goes right out the window because they are marking theit territory. So what I would think is happening is that your boy is hormonal, and boys do develop earlier. Your girl is still a baby and will be for a short while longer, thus, no hormones meaning she needs to mark her territory.

She may not change, but you may find, when she hits four months or so, that she goes a bit wilder with her habits too.

this might be help full.
i have 2 rabbits, male and female. when hey were younger..
the girl was imaculate for using the litter box.. the male..
where ever he was, he jsut dropped it! lol
then, i had to sepaorate them to stop them from breeding.....
eyore used his litter box ike it was a magnatic field bring him to wards it.
so bacically. the female claimed the litter box as hers. so he could not use it. now they are sharing fine.

Latest posts

Back