Litter box training - poop!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwhoosh

Reaction score
I've been working on litter box training my little 8 week old Moose for 2 weeks now. When my other bun Rilee was a baby, she took to the box right away and has always been very good with it! (except for poops around her cage sometimes) Moose is doing well in the pee aspect, we only had ONE accident as we have him in a small pen for play time and it was easy to keep putting him in the box. In his cage, he's doing well with pee too.

BUT THE POOPS. Like most bunnies, when food goes in, poop comes out. I'm used to this for hay and always set up hay at the front end of the box for them both. However he poops as he eats pellets too, and he eats constantly :( I tried putting his food bowl in the litter box too, which kind of worked but he ends up peeing in it. It's like he doesn't realize it's happening as he eats... hahaha. Even if he goes for a nibble of hay outside the box - poop.

I've been just picking up every poop I see and putting it in the box, but I don't think he's getting the message somehow :p Any tips or advise?

I've had Horatio for almost 2 months now and he is perfectly litter trained with weeing and almost perfectly with pooping (well.. he is perfect with poops in his cage and kind of out side). It is a slow process which is frustrating because just like you, our other bunny Dudley took to it straight away. He doesn't do any territory poop marking like our Napoleon did, but he is still learning what the tray is for.

Every time he hops around and poops just fall out, I pick him up and put him back in his tray. When I see him groom at night (he is a night pooper and often does a big pile while he grooms), he goes in his tray. If he does a pile of poops, once again, back in the tray. He may hop straight out, but its a repetitive thing that is linked to his poops. I also show him his poops in the tray and sometimes he eats them.. so he MUST know what is going on :p

Hope that helps!

Hahaha totally laughed at night pooper and groom poops!

The only time Moose leaves piles is when he's eating pellets, which he does 24 hrs/day so hard to intervene. I have occasionally seen him sitting in the box and leeaaning over to eat pellets lol I appreciate the effort but he doesn't do it all the time.

Guess he might just need more time than Rilee, as long as he gets it eventually.

I would purchase a dish that can be attached to the side of the cage and hang it where he can eat while in the litter box. At least that way he is not peeing in his food.:p

Back