litter box training and bonding

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaustin15

Reaction score
Hi :)

I just got my rabbit three weeks ago from a breeder. He is one year old and was neutered almost a week ago. He was kept before on a wire pan style cage. I have him in a plastic bottom cage now and it has a litter box in it. . I have tried moving it all over his cage and putting his hay by it, but it doesn't make a difference.He just poops and pees wherever he wants, not even in another specific spot.
Will he ever learn to use it? How can I help him make the transition?

Also, I have read some things online that say rabbits are happiest in pairs. But how am I suppose to know if he wants a friend or not? He seems happy as he is, he's always doing his little bunny kicks and is very happy to see me when I come home. But is he really that lonely when I'm not there?

If I should get him a friend, I want a bunny that is calmer than him and around the same size or smaller (not for his sake, I know he probably doesn't care about size. its for my sake hahaha). He is 6lbs (thrianta), so i was looking at holland lops, mini rex, or dutch because they seem to have pretty calm personalities. what is your opinion on which GENERALLY are the calmest?

thank you in advance for your responses.:carrot

I believe he can learn to be litter trained. Is there bedding in his cage? If there is it could confuse him. What I did with my bun was to place any poops outside the litter box into the litter box. Also I would take a small piece of paper towel and soak it in the urine and then place that in the litter box.

Most bun owners place the hay in the litter box or hang a hay rack right near the litter box so the bun can be sitting in the litter box while eating the hay. Buns tend to potty while eating. I have a feeder for pellets hanging over Thumpers. Also, you may want to limit the space the bun is allowed to play in until he starts getting the hang of the litter box. Even after being litter trained most buns will still poo outside the litter box.

I do not think having another bun is necessary for your bun to be happy as long as you spend time with him. If you do decide to get another bun, research on bonding buns. It is said that it can take up to 2 months for all the hormones to be out of the bun after a neuter.

yes there is bedding all in his cage. Thank you for your help, i will try putting hay in there and putting his poops in there.

and thanks for your advice, sure would make my life easier if I don't need to get another! But anything for my bun :)

Definitely remove the bedding. That will just confuse him into thinking he can go anywhere. In fact, sometimes during litter training it helps to just have the bare plastic floor as a lot of buns have an aversion to peeing on a flat surface. Poops will never be 100%. rabbits are considered litter trained if they pee in their box. Also, sometimes it helps to put more than one litterbox in the cage. This can be removed later but you will want him to have the most litterbox options so he better gets the idea. What are you using for litter? Some buns can be picky about litter too so experimenting with different litters can help too.

If you don't want another bun then don't get one. Bonding rabbits is difficult and tedious. It involved hoeing them separately and having daily meetings til they are bonded. It can take days, weeks or even months. You have to be committed to the process. I believe rabbits do enjoy the company of another bun but I also think they can live happy and fulfilled lives as long as they get attention from their human slave :)

thank you for your help. I'm using care fresh litter.I will take out the rest of his litter, and just leave whats in the litter box. And Im just worried he gets lonely because I have class all day, so he can only come out at night and during the weekends ): but he does get to come out for about 2-3 hours every night.

Definitely take the litter out of the bottom of the cage. Good luck on the litter training. My bunnies do great out of their cages. They will scent their cages by dropping pellets, but mine don't go when roaming the house. Hopefully yours will be the same. I just wanted to tell you about my bunny bonding experience. I wanted a friend for my bunny because they do better in pairs. We took him for several bunny playdates at the local shelter. You're supposed to let them choose their own friend. He wasn't ready for about 5 months after being neutered. All he did was hump everything in sight. Two days ago we took him in and he had bunny love at first sight. The two rabbits immediately started licking and grooming each other and laying together. We brought them home in the same carrier and then they spent time outside in a exercise pen together ( a neutral place). They wouldn't leave each other's side. They groomed and licked and played. So I put them together in the one cage and they have been inseparable since. I was thrilled with this as I anticipated a more difficult bonding with separate cages, etc. I would say if you want to bond your rabbit, go for it. Just be prepared for many visits until they choose each other and maybe you'll be as lucky as I was. I can tell a huge difference in his happiness! Good luck

if you are considering another bunny, a calm one, i would not recommend dutch. haha, i have a dutch. he's a good rabbit, but very energetic and always curious. mini lops are a good calm breed.

Latest posts

Back