Litter box solutions?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minilopbun

Reaction score
Hi everyone! My rabbit Baci has great litter habits, 100% of poops and pee always in the box since he was a baby. But when he hops out of his box, a couple of poops always fly out. So in the mornings I usually sweep up around his box and it's no big deal but does anyone have any solutions to this? I've gotten a new litter box with a higher back and it's helped so much! My last box was shorter on all sides. It's not a huge deal and I don't really mind sweeping up a few poops here and there since I know I'm lucky that he ONLY poops in the box, but still maybe if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!

Some people use a grate to put on top of the litter in the box. The idea is that the waste falls through the grate and nothing comes out. This may work in your situation.

I put hay in the litter box twice per day. By doing this, it seems to keep mostly hay on top of the litter box and therefore prevents those strays from coming out.

Maybe experiment and see what works for you.

Hi everyone! My rabbit Baci has great litter habits, 100% of poops and pee always in the box since he was a baby. But when he hops out of his box, a couple of poops always fly out. So in the mornings I usually sweep up around his box and it's no big deal but does anyone have any solutions to this? I've gotten a new litter box with a higher back and it's helped so much! My last box was shorter on all sides. It's not a huge deal and I don't really mind sweeping up a few poops here and there since I know I'm lucky that he ONLY poops in the box, but still maybe if anyone has any suggestions?

Thanks!
This probably as good as it's going to get. My previous rabbit, Bunny, got all her pee in the litter box, and probably 99.9% of all her poop pellets in the litter box or within a 3 foot radius of the box. This was a rabbit that had free run of the house and only one litter box! I don't get all that fussed about bunny poops. Hard dry pellets, stain free, and they don't smell bad. Pick up a pile of bunny poop pellets in the palm of your hand and have a sniff...an herbal smell with an onion or sulfur overtone. Also, keep in mind their principal gut bacterial is a bacteria that transforms cellulose to glucose. This bacteria is harmless to humans. WHAT is bad ...is bunny pee! It's usually chalky white from calcium and will stain fabrics. Also of course, if bunny pees on carpet or cloth furniture, even though pee is bacterially sterile, it will rot and make a smell. If you have a house rabbit that gets ALL of it's pee in the litter box, and almost all of it's poops in the litter box, you've got a good bunny house mate.

Back