Litter box problems

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnna

Reaction score
Hi-Im new to this awesome forum! Im having a little bit of a problem though. I've had my for 7 years and shes been great until now. She is scooping out her litter, moving the box and peeing in the corner (where her box usually is sitting). She never used to do this until recently. I've tried practically everything, but its getting to be really hard work cleaning her condo every day to get the odor out. Does anyone have any advice? I know she is a very lazy bunny, doesnt like to play or run around, just sits in a spot and sleeps. Everyone talks about how and what their bunnies do, like running around, socializing etc, but Mel has never done that. I keep working with her though. Help!

Not sure why she started doing this all of a sudden but when one of my buns gets bored she will do the same thing.

You could try to attach the litterbox to the side of the cage somehow. Tie wrap, cable tie, large metal binder clips work well.

Has anything changed in her world recently? Any new additions to the household?

Has anything else about her changed? Sometimes a change in litter habits can indicate a potential medical problems, such as a gut problem, or feeling rough in some way, cystitis, etc.

Is your bun a healthy weight? Is she spayed?

Unfortunately, she is obese, I take her to the Vet frequently, not that she gets sick but just to get a check up. We are trying to lose weight though its been a problem since shes never been an active bunny. :nerves1

She uses timothy hay, purina rabbit food (very little), a banana chip, carrots (1/2 twice daily) and parsley. :cry2

It might be worth cutting out the treats (such as carrots and bananc hips) and just having her on unlimited hay and a small pinch of a complete pellet. Is that what Purina is? Or is it a mix of different things?

You could give her a tiny bit of parsley or other leafy green as a treat but the carrot and banana chip are loaded in sugar and will make it incredibly hard for her to shift any weight.

Is she spayed? Have you had her checked at the vet since her behaviour has changed? Has anything changed in her world?

No changes recently-I told the vet and she didn't have any solutions. I am,however, a pushover when it comes down to her but I know it's only hurting her. She only has the pellets- I'm just not sure what to do. Maybe I do need to clean that corner a little bit.

It might be worth cleaning it with a distilled vinegar solution. That should help ease the smell and also she should realise it's not a place to go, however, there is a reason for it, so try to work out what it is.

I had a foster come to me and she was loved too much and obese, and we slimmed her down. she is so much happier and enjoys life so much more at a lower weight. If you want to treat your bun then maybe a blade of grass, or a hay cube. You could also try using things like treat balls to give her the pellets because that will stimulate her and keep her moving.

Thank you so much for the ideas, I will definitely try them. I will let you know how it works. She has her own room with the door open and also a 2 story condo, I just want her to run around and play but she just lays around alth not sure if she roams at night while I'm sleeping!

If you do things like hide her food then she will have to come out. As she slims down she should get more active. You have to be crafty and clever, but it will be worth it when she gets there :D

Have you thought of getting her a friend? That would probably also liven her up, but obviously she would need to be spayed for that (if she is not already), which might be a risk on an older bunny.

I only feed my buns purina rabbit food. It is nothing more than pellets and I love it.

I hide some of the pellets in small boxes. I put a small opening in the box so they can smell the food, some will tumble out as they move the box. They toss the boxes around and gather up the spilled pellets. Occassionally they eat the box, but that is all part of the excersize as well.

Rabbits have a much stronger sense of smell than people and she would easily be able to locate it once that was what she realised she was supposed to do. I have found they take to a treat ball really quickly. To start off with you could just try scattering her food, and then gradually progress to being more diverse in where you put them (like in things, on things, under things, etc).

Latest posts

Back