Litter box placement.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip&Piper

Reaction score
Does anyone have a bunny who doesn’t seem to want the litterbox with the hay?

Piper isn’t spayed yet, so I know this is part of the issue, but nevertheless she does seem to be mostly litter trained for poo, but not for pee... and she also doesn’t seem to “go” when she is eating hay. I have had two litter boxes in her enclosure for a while now, one where she likes to poop, which is directly in front of the door, and then the other was next to it, under the hay rack. She doesn’t seem to pee anywhere but in her bed, when she’s let out to play, or if I put a pee pad down in the opposite corner. (Next to her hidey house/bed)

So, I’ve just moved the litterbox from under the hay rack to the corner where she pees on the pee pad, and we will see how that goes. I guess the answer is likely to move the hay rack to where the big litterbox is now, but the hay rack is built into the dividing wall, so it will be a bit of a pain. (But doable!)

Here’s a not great picture of how I just moved everything:upload_2019-4-2_20-11-20.jpeg
There is poop in the big litterbox but that’s mostly what I’ve swept up and then dumped in there. You can see the massive amount of poop in the smaller box, that’s where she usually goes, but the litter is dry, there is never pee in that one, just poop.

I guess I am wondering if anyone else has the litter box away from the hay and has been successful?

Thanks!

She used to pee on anything soft, but now she won’t pee under that box! She does pee beside the box though, but only when the pee pad is there. Somehow she knows not to pee on the fleece blanket.

Some rabbits are very particular about where they decide they want their toilet, and you essentially have to move their litter box to where they want to pee. I had one that wasn't peeing in his litter box, until I moved it to one specific corner then he was perfect about using it because that's where he wanted it. See how it goes moving the litter box to where she is peeing. That could solve the problem.

If that doesn't work, maybe she's decided she doesn't want to ruin her hay by peeing on it. If so you could try having her hay away from the litter box and see if that makes any difference. Most rabbits could care less if they pee on their food, but there are buns that can be very particular about this sort of thing. I wish mine were, then maybe they wouldn't waste so much hay from peeing on it :p

Another possibility is that she has decided she prefers peeing on her bed and pee pads.

With rabbits it can be a process of trial and error. Sometimes what works for one rabbit or most rabbits, won't work for others, and you have to fine tune the set up so that it works for you and your bun.

Latest posts

Back