Litter box issue!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cseldes

Reaction score
So my male bunny loves to hang out in his litterbox all the time. No matter how often I clean the box out it is usually soaked which makes him soaked. I don't know what to do anymore. I moved his hay to encourage him to lay somewhere else and that hasn't worked. I figure my options are limiting his water intake, changing the litter to something else, or changing the litterbox itself to something with a grate so he can't lay directly on the litter.

Any suggestions??

Perhaps it could be the location of the box too, it might feel like the safest place to him where he can relax. I don't know if it would work but perhaps try moving the litter tray a foot or so in one direction and see if he stills lays in the tray or whether he hangs out in the spot where the tray was.

Otherwise, if you don't have any luck with that, you may have to get a tray with a grid, simply to stop himself laying in his own waste. Do not limit his water intake.

What are you using for litter? I use the wood pellets and top them with hay. Even with 2 bunnies peeing in there, the wetness soaks down to the pellets and the hay remains dry. (I also put fresh hay in 2-3 times per day) My rabbits could lay in there all day and never get wet.
I only change the box twice per week too.
So if you don't want to do the grid thing, perhaps you could just set up like I do. Then he could just lay in there and not get wet.

Back