Litter box hay

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormageddon

Reaction score
Is it normal for a bun to eat ALL of the hay from their litter box within a day?

His litter is a layer of newspaper, a layer of newspaper pellet litter, and then hay. He seems to want to eat all of the hay from his box before he will eat any from his hay racks. Is this an unhealthy habit?

Not unusual at all, rabbit's like to eat while they poop. Is the hay rack above the tray? If not, shift it next to it if you can. Otherwise, as long as he's not eating spoiled hay that he's been peeing on, he'll be fine :)

He has two hay racks, both over the litter box. But the fact that he eats every single piece of hay in there really makes me think that he is eating even the peed on stuff! (But will turn his nose up to a sliver of cucumber haha!)

The more hay they eat the better! I wouldn't worry about too much hay :)

Oh I am so not worried about the amount haha! I am worried about the health effects of him eating the peed on hay

I put all the hay toward the front of the box, and they tend to pee at the back. If they eat some peed on hay I wouldn't worry too much, they do eat their own poops and groom their private business, after all :)

Latest posts

Back