Litter box digging?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dragonrain

Reaction score
The lovely Berry has found herself a new hobby - she's obsessed with digging in the litter box.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see her using both of her front legs again since her stroke in Jan. It's probably good exercise for her lol. The litter pan they have has really high sides, so her digging doesn't even make that much of a mess.

But the thing is, she insists on doing it at 5am. Almost every morning this week, she has woken me up around that time. I'm so tired this week from lack of sleep because of her. Most nights I don't even make it to bed until after 1am.

Also, it stinks. She's kicking around dirty litter for hours at a time and it makes the bunny room and bed room smell like pee.

What could I do to make her stop? Just make/buy a grate for on top of the litter or something? I'm planning on making her a dig box to put in the room during the day and I'll take it up at night. So hopefully she can settle her urge to dig during the days and I can go back to sleeping through the night. It seems like all the bunnies want to do all day is sleep, and then they keep me up all night playing. I want them to play and have fun, but is there anyway to convince them to do it at a better time or is it just something I need to deal with?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

I'd use a grate, like one of those fluorescent lighting grates that some people use.

Also, the less attention you pay to her while she makes noises that wake you up, the fewer noises at night she'll make. It sounds like she wants attention or to wake you up so you feed her, and it sounds like she's getting that! If you can shut the door, wear earplugs, do whatever you can so that she doesn't learn that digging at 5am=I get attention, she should probably stop. ;)

Thanks for the reply! I'm going to see what I can do about making a grate for the litter box.

Hmm well the bunny room doesn't have a door, unfortuantly. It's just a room off the side of the bedroom, but no door - just a door frame.

I do give them attention for making noise at night. They get so loud and I feel bad if they wake my fiance, since he has to get up in the mornings and works really long hours. I guess I'll have to let them wake him for a few nights if I ever want to be able to get enough sleep myself.

I made the huge mistake of video taping my bun when he first jumped in the litter box and dug to china - then he performed a BIG dead bunny flop and I thought it was so cute! Now, whenever he wants attention - he digs in the box and sprays litter everywhere!

I've tried many approaches and the best one I've found was to line the outside of the box with empty litter jugs (would try acover for it, but have a cat that is blind and she couldn't navigate the hood)andhave turned it so that his direct line of elimination (when he digs it doesn't have a direct path now to spray 3 feet) has made it not so much fun for him, but he hasn't stopped at all, just slowed down.

I also think he does this for A: trying to get attention or B: he doesn't like something new in the house and haven't figured out what the "new thing" is.. He left it alone forever and then took in a kitten - and the litter box became an issue.. so going with B.

Let me know what you figure out - as may try it.

Latest posts

Back