litter box and training questions..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamafern

Reaction score
north vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
bunny uses his litterbox in his cage but when he has the run of the house he pees on the couch! it is really irritating and im not letting him into the living room because of it (his run is a few large cotton rugs in the middle of the kitchen floor) but i would like to let him be in there! he also likes to pee on the kids little couch, which i dnt really care about because they have all pee'd on it as well and i can just spray it with vinegar and lay it in the sun outside to air.. i havn't yet given him a litterbox out of his cage mainly because my baby will get into it, and secondly because i was waiting to see if there is a place he consistintly goes..which seems like the couch.. so what should i do?

My bunny has had a similar problem. He has a small corner litter pan in his cage, which he uses very well, but once he is out, he'll leave some droppings or pee in a wall corner.

That might be because your bunny doesn't know how to get back to his cage. If your home is big, or you leave him in different rooms, it's harder for them to locate their litter, especially if it's one with a closed top.

You can try leaving a second litter box in the living room, or where he likes to hang out, that way he doesn't have to use the one in his cage.

What I simply do is put him in his cage every few hours and he automatically pees/poops in his litter. Don't leave him out for too long.

Can you start him off in a small area, then slowly increase his run around area once his litter habits are better? He probably has the urge to mark everything right now, so giving him lots of area is way to tempting.

My girl used to pee on the couch too, I think it's because it smells like people, so she wanted to mark it. After not letting her on the couch for a few months and she got adjusted to using the litterbox in the corner of the room, she stopped peeing on the couch and I let her back up.

--Dawn

so today i just took his litterbox out of his cage and put it out on the rug where he runs/plays during the day when we are home.. and....
NO poop or pee on the floor! :bunnydance:
its totally amazing. i need to get a second one though because then he peed in the corner of his cage where it usually lives!

im wondering why he couldn't go the 10 hops to his cage that it would have taken him to get to it before...it was and always has been totally accessable to him when he is out.

Probably because he's LAZY... and they often like more than one spot to go potty in.

I use dish tubs. The whit ones that you're supposed to put dish drying racks in. I find them to be a nice size, cheap and easy to find.

--Dawn

mamafern wrote:
so today i just took his litterbox out of his cage and putit out on the rug where he runs/plays during the day when we are home..and....
NO poop or pee on the floor! :bunnydance:
its totally amazing. i need to get a second one though because then he peed in the corner of his cage where it usually lives!

im wondering why he couldn't go the 10 hops to his cage that it wouldhave taken him to get to it before...it was and always has been totallyaccessable to him when he is out.

glad you've solved his little problem!

Latest posts

Back