Litter box agression/ territorial

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hkok

Reaction score
Our male Erslev (5 year old neutered, freerange) have the last few week begun to be agressive when we want to change his litter box It's like he have forgotten the "deal" and perhaps he is simply just trying to tell us to get your own place to ..... Or feel my teeth!

We had the problem before (two years ago) and we have followed the advice that we got here. With reinforcing the good behaviour when he come running at us (petting). It have worked up to now. We may have been rewarding the bad behavior, when he come running to one of us while we change the litter box (pet him to late ect so he have had a reward for being agrresive?)

So should we be more aware about how fast we "reward him" so it before he come near the litter box or any other ideas?

The main thing when dealing with behavior is you have to act like an alpha rabbit would. If you give him a rub all the time it is equated with grooming which is what a subordinate would be doing. We just got two new rescues and one is very hutch aggressive, so I'd pin him and if he bit me he got rolled onto his back and pinned to the ground briefly. I no longer get bit or scratched and he is a very affectionate little guy now. I also distract him when I need to take his pan out. Bribery works in most cases, but, you do have to understand bunny behavior and make sure your the alpha in this equation.

bunnies aren't dogs.... why on earth would you roll him on his back?

If he's aggressive out changing the litter box.. then either cage him/put him in another room/or otherwise distract him when you are changing it out.

Don't provide instances when he can continue practising those negative behaviours.

You said he's free range. Does he have an area (besides his litter box) that's just for him? (We use a mat, but a box or pet bed or blanket would work too.) Rabbits are territorial, so it's better to give them something for their territory rather than let them choose it themselves. ;)

Hope that helps!

Rue

Latest posts

Back