Litter and long hair rabbits.....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chewy-de-Lionhead

Bunny Slave
Reaction score
I have a 13 week double mane lionhead that has his skirt coming in very full. I've been using the carefresh litter, but it loves to stick in his fur. I'm working him into getting brushed daily, but at his age, he's just too busy. I tried switching him to the fresh n cozy but he snubbed it. I suspect because it is harsher on his feet or possibly the smell. Not really sure.

He's doing so well using the litter box to pee, that I hate to change anything, but the carefresh just sticks to his "skirt" like glue and he drags it around everywhere. It's not that he cares, but I do. I'm a tad OCD I guess. LOL

I've started putting the fresh n cozy on the bottom and then a light layer of the carefresh on top, to get him used to the smell of the fresh n cozy. He seems fine with it that way.

I'm thinking about making one of the litter boxes only the fresh n cozy when I change it and see if he will use it. If he will then will change out the others. (He has three) Maybe the one in his hutch last, since he uses that one the most?

Will this really mess with how good he is at using the litter boxes? Has anyone else changed litter only to have them not use the box unless they have the "original" litter?

Have you tried using kiln-dried wood stove pellets? Also known as horse stall pellets or woodfire pellets. They are hard pieces of compressed wood chips that break down when wet. Zero tracking, because the hard pellets obviously don't stick and the wet breakdown packs like wet snow so they don't stick either. I put a layer of hay on top of it for comfort, that might also lessen the debris sticking.

I'm thinking that is what I will do in the future. We have a plant here in town that makes wood pellets. Might check them out for the solution.

Thanks Much!

Seconding the recommendation on wood stove/horse stall pellets -- they worked really for my (admittedly, mane-less) lionhead mix, whereas Carefresh was just messy and stunk.

Woodstove pellets are definitely the way to go. Breezy has pantaloons rather than very full, long hair- however, once in a while a stray pellet will get out of the box. I top her litter with hay so hay is oftentimes everywhere, hehe! Nothing much you can do to prevent it short of a haircut.

What litter should I use for my bunny he likes to eat the wood pellet ones so I don't know what to give him anymore any sugestions

What litter should I use for my bunny he likes to eat the wood pellet ones so I don't know what to give him anymore any sugestions

It is bunny safe so nothing bad is going to happen even if he likes nibbling on it, I had a bun who liked doing that when his litter got changed, but it would only last the first day then he wouldn't eat peed-on litter lol. If your bun is actually eating more than a few pellets, it could be a sign of lack of fiber in his diet, maybe he needs a change of hay type or just more of it.

Latest posts

Back