List TWO examples of you going above and beyond for your rabbit (s)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryng

Reaction score
1) Bagel, my last rabbit, was expierencing GI statsis . Took her to vet. She stayed at the vet for two days. Cost me one thousand dollars. The good thing was Bagel was SAVED.

2) I took two week vacation from work to have my Peanut, my current rabbit, spayed.

How about you?

I traveled half way across the country with him and all my animals. We traveled by car with no trailer or extra truck. All I got to bring that was NOT for the animals was my half bag of clothes. We had no room for anything else after toys/cages/bedding.

Before getting him my friend told me her sisters rabbit needed a new home due to their parents no longer going to feed or care for it. I told her I wanted it as soon as she was in the area again. I literally BEGGED my cousin to get my mother out of the house so I could sneak him in and he did. I wasn't supposed to get more pets, but he needed me and I was willing to risk getting in trouble.

Apart from that he hasn't really asked for much, but I'd be willing to do anything to keep him safe and healthy like all my pets.

I don't have a huge monumental story but I think i go above and beyond for Agnes just because her happiness and good care is always on my mind.

For example, I feel guilty leaving her. So last night, I was dead tired after chasing a 3 year old around all day, but after my family went to bed I stayed up til 1am with Agnes:)

I constantly have her on my mind. Like random things I see I think "that's a good Agnes toy" or wild dandelions arent just weeds anymore, they are treats! :)

She is loved and spoiled and treated like a queen. I always think to myself of all the rabbits out there who are just shoved in too small of cages and never paid attention to :( it makes me happy to think my little Agnes will live a happy life!

Our bunnies have their own room--I didn't when I was a kid. I rented a van and drove strait thru from CA to here--thought my bladder was going to explode. Used to drive 30 miles one way to the vet that was the best in N CA even though we had 3 good vets in town. I got more.

Paddy O'Hara hada strawberry with her breakfast 5 days in row because I am out of everything else. Day 6 the strawberry was tossed out of the bowel and the greens dumped on the floor. I went to the store during my lunch and bought a banana and some more carrots. This morning I had binkies with the banana in place of the strawberryso spoiling has some payoffs.

She also has her own room and now 2 litter boxes because she prefers fresh newspaper over everything else I have tried but she only uses it once. I change the papers 2 times per day for the little diva!

She is just so sweet and so very well behaved that I really do not mind going above and beyond for her.

This thread said list TWO thing so I wasn't able to mention my little princess, Peanut, has her own room also.

I cheated. I guess it's OK because I started this thread.:biggrin:

Let's see, above and beyond....

1) I don't have access to a decent pet store where I live so I have to buy rabbit food that is full of nuts, seeds, dried fruit, with minimal actual pellets. I pick out the pellets from the junk by hand. It takes me quite awhile.

2) But the big one is, I don't want to have children while I have my bunnies because I won't be able to give them enough attention. So yes, I am postponing my life for these sweet rabbits. They don't even know how good they have it!

pfft, rabbits are better than kids anyway. they cost less, they smell less, they don't scream/cry/vomit, their poop is infinitely less offensive to the senses, they stay cute forever, their "teenage phase" only lasts a couple months... I could go on :p

I don't have one for my rabbits just yet that is "above and beyond". I do have to get into their cage whenever I replace the towels though. I wouldn't do that for the dog.

I have one for my seven turtles - $600 this past month for checkups. Why so much? My vet charges $75 per turtle per office visit.

On my list for doing "above and beyond" for the rabbits? Outdoor run that is at least 50 square feet and an indoor room that has shelves for hopping and all sorts of toys.

Just two? haha ;)

1) The bunny palace we built for them. Nibbles' section when we first built it:
400308_907229777403_1262974015_n.jpg

403707_907229882193_531798809_n.jpg

And after we added the addition for Junie and Crispin:
398219_10100106987812673_13936377_n.jpg

398219_10100106987817663_2086743219_n.jpg

We didn't mean to make it that big...it just...happened.

2) The money we spend to buy them the best food, hay, and entertainment possible! I think if my husband had known how much we would really end up spending on these three, he wouldn't have agreed to getting any! We don't have kids, so there's no one else for us to spoil!

haha, yeah, it's massive. Our apartment really isn't all that big, but our living room has this weird bump out section where the windows are. That's what allowed us to make something that big. And we do have 3 buns, so it's not just one king of the castle!

I do worry when we have to move (not any time soon, but some day I'd like a house!) how we're going to find a space big enough for them! I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

My buns have quite a large space- each pair has an enclosure large enough I can lay down comfortably because I lay down to read them a story out loud every evening. I give them dinner and a story to tuck them in to bed after they run around the house all evening.

I take the rabbits to the park and pet store in their stroller so they can get fresh air and sunshine. They pick out their own treats and toys on a regular basis, especially after a visit to the V-E-T.

Well... lots of people, including my husband and the vet thought I was going above and beyond by having Hunny's leg amputated. Their suggestion was to put her to sleep. I love her and wanted to save her if possible.

Before the amputation, for 7 months while we dealt with one abscess after another, I lanced her abscesses daily and squeezed all that nasty, thick, bunny pus out. Everyone thought I was crazy then too. Thankfully the surgery and amputation got rid of all of the issues she was having!

mdith4him wrote:
That's so cute! How exactly do they pick their own treats/toys?
As we go down the isles I watch to see if anything catches their or my attention. Then I hold it down in front of them. If they try to eat it or play with it then it comes home with us. If they act like it isn't there then it's not fun enough to come home. They really do show preferences in toys and snacks.

I've got lots of things...but here's one:

I stayed up every night for 7 nights straight when my bunnny Jelly (RIP) had head tilt. She was rolling almost continually otherwise though so I had to stay up to keep her from injuring herself. During the day, I'd get a couple hours of sleep on and off if I could get a family member to come sit with the bunny for 15 mins here or there to give me a break.

Only one I can think of that hasn't been said; I made my career choice around him. I'd be in the air force, but I couldn't leave him behind; so I'm doing something I originally had no interest in.

I've only had my bunnies 8 months or so, and I don't think I've done anything above and beyond. I guess
-Buying a $345 cart, for one with partial paralysis. Considering everyone's vet bills, this doesn't seem so much!
- Staying up/setting my alarm for every few hours when one bunny was having some tummy issues, so I could syringe feed

MiniLopHop wrote:
mdith4him wrote:
That's so cute! How exactly do they pick their own treats/toys?
As we go down the isles I watch to see if anything catches their or my attention. Then I hold it down in front of them. If they try to eat it or play with it then it comes home with us. If they act like it isn't there then it's not fun enough to come home. They really do show preferences in toys and snacks.
How cool! I wish we could take ours to the pet store to do that. But all three of them HATE the carriers and riding in the car, so by the time we got to the pet store, they'd be none too happy. It's so hard picking out toys for them...sometimes we get it right, but a lot of the time, they don't seem to care for the toys we pick out!

Back