Lionlop grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magick_mogwai

Reaction score
Hi all! Gandalf is going through his first moult. He is shedding fur everywhere and although he doesn't mind a few minutes grooming here and there I'm finding even a good 5 minutes every day(the most he will allow since he entered teenagerhood) is not enough to get rid of all the fur coming out.

Any suggestions about how I can groom him better? It's mostly the wooly skirt around his bum that is the problem.

Also, happy new year to all :)

Furminator + lionhead + 7-8 minutes produced this yesterday:
33f46fr.jpg

Mind you, she has a thin mane, hasn't really had a skirt since she blew her juvenile coat and is barely molting. When she went through her first molt (and subsequent heavy ones), I think I was producing a pile twice that size in about as much time! I get equally impressive results when furminating my Holland Lop, who has a VERY different coat.

Furminators are a rip-off in most pet stores, but you can get one for $20-25 on Amazon or eBay. Also, they have a money-back satisfaction guarantee, so you can get your money back if you (or you bunny) don't like it.

The ones for small animals, cats (either size) and small dogs are all equally viable for bunnies - all that really matters is the width of the comb part (I recommend one that's 1.6-2.1''; the next biggest size is 2 2/3''). I ended up with the one for long-haired cats under 10 lbs and it works just as well on short-haired animals.

What makes the furminator so freaking effective that I'm eager to sing its praises is that, unlike most brushes, it gets their undercoat as well.

Just noticed your location... I don't know if they sell furminators over there, but if they don't then I'm betting there's a very similar product :)

Thanks for the advice. I looked up the furminator to see if they are available in the UK and they are. Got one from amazon - the video they had on the site showing what they do is amazing. Hope Gandalf likes it! Will have to post a picture of how much fur I get off him, I'm sure the pile will be impressive. :thanks:

Whee! You won't regret it! :D

Nala took to the furminator right away; Gazzles *hated* it in the beginning. Gaz got used to it pretty quickly, though. I'm about to try it on my new rescue bunn for the first time if I can remember where I put the darn thing. I don't really feel like he's shedding, but he's got weird lines in his fur, patches of fur along some of the lines that are a slightly different color from the rest and the lines/discolored patches have definitely been progressing in the two days I've had him - obvious signs of a molt in progress! He probably is shedding but I just don't register it because of how explosively Nala, Gaz and the kitten shed (Nala during molts, the other two 24/7/365); his coat doesn't seem like the "explosive" type.

Latest posts

Back