Lionheads - can you have single maned Teddies/Woolies?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiaraPatricia

Reaction score
I was reading the other day that Teddies can be single or double maned, which I guess makes sense, I just never thought of it before.

My two rabbits have had a DM teddy in each of their 2 previous litters, and in this current litter there is one single maned baby that looks way fluffier, has long hair all over, really cute :) I'll take a photo in the morning, it's 1.31 am now :p So I'm wondering if it's a teddy. Has anyone heard of single maned teddies?

my sm always have more mane and tons of hair before the other DM ones. Then at 6 months they loose most of it. I would say it's not a teddy.

I would not think you could have a single mane teddy. Here is my reasoning on this.

The single mane gene normally shows itself as longer mane that is straight and has no crimp to it.

The double mane gene that stays is usually a crimped type of wool.

Every teddy I've ever seen - has the crimped wool all over their body instead of just in the mane. It seems to me that is what makes them teddies - the wool all over their bodies.

Now - I'm no expert (I did breed them for 3 years but still had lots to learn). So there is a very good chance I could be wrong.

It's kinda weird, cos there are the normal SMs, and then this one with long hair. But I guess it's just an extra fluffy one!

Latest posts

Back